Thread: CBT what happens?

CBT what happens?

Hi,

Does anyone know what happens at a CBT appointment?

Had an initial chat with psychologist today, and back in 2 weeks but I left rather confused and none the wiser

Re: CBT what happens?

Hey, I have been having CBT for a while now. Your therapist will want you to talk about what worry's you, what problems you have and how they make you feel. He/she will ask lots of questions. They get you to see things differently and think about things differently. Its one step at a time, me and my therapist can spend a whole hour on just one thing.
    It works for me without me realising it. I dont go away thinking about it all, it just seems to happen over time. You look at things differently. Its hard to explain until your going through it yourself. See what happens in 2 weeks

Thanks Emma

I get homework to do as well for example this week I have to write down any negative thoughts that make me panic, then use the breathing techniques to calm me down and then think of an alternative to the negative thought to change it into something positive.

ive had cbt twice in the 80s and just recently,after a six month waiting list last one went like this was told i talk too much about whats bothering me and should follow the programme,not getting anywhere as the hour as been taken up just talking again,3rd session was asked if its any good to me really lol so depends who you get where you live i suppose,it wasnt for me,all he did was keep asking scale of 1 10 how did this feel how did that feel,it didnt work in the 80s knew it wouldnt now,i was positive in thinking it might now as times have changed,sadley not,glad it helps others ive read about on here,i think it also depends on how bad the panic attacks ha ocd are, and how long you have lived with them,i think secret is nip it in the bud early more chance of sucess with cbt or anything

Yeah I thought it might be a bit too little too late to be honest, could have done with it 9 months ago, Im open to it, but again today I had my chat with 2 people, a senior and a student, and they were more concerned with telling me how I felt, rather than me telling them, I left pretty confused. I am more than happy to give it a go and hope it does work, but feeling confused as I left didnt fill me with confidence. I thought I would have a clear idea today of a way forward, and I havent got that, but I guess it all takes time doesnt it.

Annie, is there enough paper in the world to write down all of my negative thoughts? Nothing is a positive at the moment, my brain wont let it be, but as I said, willing to give it a shot, nothing to lose, and I might get my life and my appetite back eh

I had CBT back in 2008 after more than 10 years of GAD, Social Anxiety and Panic Disorder. My experience was completely positive, I really got on well with the Psychologist, she listened and was extremely helpful. I learned, relaxed breathing exercises, physical relaxation and many many more things. CBT is tailored to your personal needs.
    Go for it!

BobbyDog

Thread Information