Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To try or not to try CBT....

To try or not to try CBT....

Hi All,

I have suffered with depression and anxiety for a while now and whilst I've been on medication for around 2 & half years I have realised that I have issues that maybe CBT could help. I also have OCD - with the checking & rechecking of things which I just can't help!

Recently I have noticed and looking back I can see a pattern that whenever I get into a relationship I end up running away, whether it is a good or bad one. I have met someone who I get along so well with and we can talk, laugh and I smile a lot but in the back of my mind the anxiety keeps building up to the point that I know in a few days I will probably find some excuse to make a run for it.

Can CBT help with some of theses types of behaviour?

Re: To try or not to try CBT....

Hello HunniBee.
    I would strongly recommend CBT - it worked really well for me & even though it was several years ago, I'm using the skills daily. Regardless of how life treats me now, those skills will always be there for me to use.

I'm sure for OCD it would be beneficial too as the skills can be tailored to suit your exact needs - though saying that many of the skills can be applied in all sorts of areas of life with a small tweak.
    Its really good that you have made that realisation about a pattern with your relationships. Even in the short description you give I recognise 2 things. First, being able to analyse things in this way is a key skill when using CBT. So that already stands you in good stead. Plus, your words "find some excuse to make a run for it" suggests that is your "avoidance technique", i.e. you feel triggered (probably by something from your past) and your automatic reaction is to make a run for it. That is entirely the sort of thing that CBT is suited to challenging. Once you have an awareness of a particular situation, you can then challenge the negative and disproportionate beliefs & come up with healthy solutions. That simplifies it alot but in principle that's how it works.
    I'd say go for it HunniBee - CBT does work & I'm walking evidence of that!

Thank you so much for your reply!

It is much appreciated I will give the people a call later today.

HB x

I found CBT invaluable and it really helped me too.

You have to be pro-active and want to progress. It sounds like you do and you already recognise your 'safety behaviours'. These are the negative thoughts & actions a good therapist will help you work on. I think you will get some benefit from it as long as you stick with it Good luck!!

Thank you for your reply

Im definitely going to try it as my doctor thinks I would benefit from it. when it gets to the point that you recognise it but cannot stop it that's when help is needed!

HB x

I would definitely recommend cbt...it did wonders for me and really helped me to get going on the path of getting myself better!
    Good luck
    X x

Hi Laura,

Thank you

If you don't mind me asking, what did you suffer with?

HB x

I have to agree, CBT is great. As already mentioned, you have to be prepared to put the work in and stick with it, but it's worth it.

Hi,

Thanks

I know I need to do something as I can feel the usual oh to familiar feelings of aniexty & unease welling up & it needs to stop!
    Can't keep living like this :(

HB x

hello hunnibee; you are right about needing to do something. You can use the feeling that you "cant keep living like this" in a constructive sense such that it quantifies the need to push on & arrange for CBT. Yes it'll mean some effort on your part but the efforts can go into making steps in the right direction rather than using all your strength as you do now which isnt moving you forwards. Are you going to fix an appointment with your GP so you can arrange it or are you able to phone them & sort it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information