I was prescribed mirtazapine by the psychiatrist I have seen twice at a clinic for 'mental health for the older adult' (referred there after a visit to A&E with a severe panic attack). He started me on 30mg and the next time I saw him he recommended going up to the maximum 45mg. Although the drug gave me my appetite back and has helped me sleep I felt I had reached a plateau after about 8 weeks and wasn't getting any better, so I started on the increased dose. I immediately felt the anxiety was worse in the mornings, and I felt no general improvement in my mood so after 3 weeks and with my GPs approval I went back down to 30mg 5 days ago.

I just wonder if this reduction of the dose is why I feel increasingly ill this week. The mornings are a complete nightmare, shaking, stomach clenched, heart racing, shaking inside, nauseous and it isn't getting better for ages, when I used to begin to feel better quite quickly. If I stick this out will it get better? Or will I (very reluctantly) have to go back on to the higher dose. Any ideas would be very welcome.