Thread: What is wrong with people?

What is wrong with people?

Girl in work asked me during the week to go out for her birthday tonight. It's further from home than I'm happy with but I'll be ok once I have my car with me. This obviously means not drinking so just to keep things simple I told her I'm on antibiotics for a gum infection and am going to drive. She's being all weird with me now, kept texting me a few hours ago asking why I wouldn't just have one or two and go in taxi with her and her friends. I explained the antibiotics make me very sick with drink and that I don't mind driving anyway cos I'll prob leave early and she won't just answer a simple question about what time they're going. DO NOT want to go now :(

Re: What is wrong with people?

Hi Eva

Sorry to hear about this especially when you're making an effort to get out. Some people just want everyone to drink and think that people who don't are party poopers! Why else would she be asking you to have some drink when you are on antibiotics? (Or so she thinks). If she's being weird don't go, dump her ass for someone who cares! Sorry to be blunt, but had my share of so-called friends myself over the years.

Whatever you decide to do, always remember that you are the one in control of yourself, no one else and you can leave when and if you want to.

Els
    x

Simple anwer Eva .....dont go , its her loss .....xx

Don't think I've a choice now anyway, haven't heard from her. Going to make work nice and awkward next week

Eva don't let it get to you, honestly it's really not worth it.
    If they can't accept you for who you are they don't deserve even a little part of you.

You're better than that

Xxx

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

Thanks guys. She rang me later to apologise so went out with her after. Just wish there had been no need for it in the first place

Eva, I sympathise.

I have had this scenario many times in my past. I am not a drinker. I may have one or two glasses of wine or martini and lemonade but that is it for me. When I was at Uni - well, to put it frankly - most of them were p***heads and would be out on the lash 24/7 given the chance, and I would always get dragged along and chastised for not keeping up with them and 'just enjoying myself and getting hammered'. Iwould get the old 'what IS wrong with you?' speech and 'ahh enjoy yourself girl'.....well my answer to that is I can enjoy myself just as much without booze and certainly, without getting trollied, but it is a sad fact that so many people think a good time is about drinking and getting wasted.

It is NOT your fault or anything wrong with you Eva, so let it go over your head. If she really was a friend she would want you there regardless of whether you drink or not.

It is a shame that it occured and at least she apologised, but like you say it should not have happened and let's hope it does not again.xxx

People are naturally selfish, it makes some people uncomfortable to be drunk around sober people, more than likely a confidence thing.
    I find when people seem to mad at me, it's more because of their problems rather than I am the problem.

Good on you for being able to go without a drink and enjoy yourself. Lots of people feel like they have to have one or two to feel comfortable and use alcohol as a prop. It may even be that your friend actually feels that way and the fact that you can go and not drink and still have a good time has got her wondering why she can't do that as well.

One of the worst traits I find in people is being bossy and feeling that they have a right to tell other people what to do. They don't, you held firm and she backed down because really she knew she was wrong - well done! That strength is a step in the right direction.

Thread Information