Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the anxiety ever go away for good?

Will the anxiety ever go away for good?

I was diagnosed with GAD in 2004, have had CBT several times and am on paroxetine. But although I can have long good periods, I'm in the middle of quite a long relapse and it just feels like I'll never be rid of the anxiety and tears. Is this a condition you can cure or am I always going to have to work at it? It just feels so unfair - I wish I was someone else.

Re: Will the anxiety ever go away for good?

Hi sfee, I know exactly how you are feeling. I started with anxiety in July 2006. By April 2007 I was virtually over it and had three great months when I would say I was 85 or 90% cured. I was almost back to normal and even able to have a week in Scotland in July with my family. But a week after we got back, in early August I had a relapse too. I have been that way ever since so like you, quite a long relapse. I am in tears whilst I type this and cry often. I just want my life back. It is so difficult isnt it. Yes it feels unfair to me too and I also wish I was someone else.

But sfee, we CAN get over this. I have had anxiety 4 times in 30 years and it has ALWAYS gone COMPLETELY. The second time I had it, it took about 6 months to clear and a year later I sent my Psychologist a postcard from Florida to prove my point!!! You dont go abroad with anxiety do you?!!!
    Definitely though, it has ALWAYS gone so I am expecting it to do so this time too.

Do you get out at all sfee? I do. I make myself go out. But I do it in my own time and at my own pace.

My worst symtom is feeling unreal so of course that makes driving difficult. I dont like driving feeling like I am on drugs!!

Take Care sfee.
    Shirley x

Hi Shirley - thanks for your message. It really helps knowing that others have the same experience, even though I wouldn't wish this on anyone and really hope you feel better soon.

I do go out because that gives me additional stimuli to distract me. But sometimes I have to stay in and do my work (I have a lot of work I have to do at home, being a teacher) and that's when it gets really bad. What do you do to help you get through those sorts of times?

I don't understand the relapses either. Objectively, my life is fine although we do have an inspection coming up at school. But that shouldn't involve me too much so I don't understand why I'm feeling so low. And how do I prevent relapses in the future if they just come out of the blue?

I just wish there was a switch to turn it all off!

Hi sfee, I agree, it does help knowing we are not alone with this experience doesnt it. Like you, I wouldnt wish it on anyone, not even my worst enemy. I hope you soon feel better too.

Yes, it helps going out doesnt it. I take it very carefully though. Apart from the unreality, my main "concerns" are, not wanting to be far from the car when I do go out, not wanting to drive far and not wanting to go anywhere with friends/family incase I cant come home when I want. So I have been trying to go further and further from the car when I go out and I even managed to take the kids out for a couple of hours the other day - something I have avoided since the summer (apart from once before Xmas) as I didnt know how I would be with the anxiety. But I managed anyway.

I am at home now and feel quite bad so I will probably go and relax in a bath soon and listen to some music and/or read my Claire Weekes book.

I think the relapses happen because something in our subconcious triggers it.

I think you are great working as a teacher when you have anxiety problems. My friend down south is a college tutor and I think she is marvellous too. She really has her ups and downs with the anxiety.

My life, I admit is unhappy. I am not in love with my husband and I am on my own in this town with my twins and hubby and mum in law, none of whom understand the predicament I am in, so I try and hide it. I had a major realisation a couple of years ago, that my dad had been emptionally abusive for over 30 years, and thats why I dont want to be close to my husband or any man, ever again as long as I live. Incidently, before we got married, we had a distance relationship and it was only when we moved in together that the trouble started. It was soon after I had this realisation that the anxiety kicked in.

I had planned on going out this morning but instead am waiting for a mental health nurse to call. I was referred to her a year ago and she was most unreliable so I am wondering if she is going to let me down today too.

At least I was able to have 40 minutes in town yesterday - away from the car - so that was good. But I feel strange now.

Shirley
    x

Hi sfee.
    You have to BELIEVE you'll get away from it. You say you're "in the middle of quite a long relapse" - but you could actually be near the end of that relapse. Positive thinking!
    You've been fine for long stretches before, so you can do it again - you know it's possible.
    Once you're feeling that you can cope again, you may be ok for the rest of your life, or maybe you'll have one more relapse. Who knows? It could be years away. No point worrying about the future when it can look after itself. Try to live your life NOW, one day at a time.
    take care.

Hi Messed up, Thanks for reminding me of that too. I have been in the "middle" of a long relapse and I agree, me and sfee may well be near the end of it. It is quite possible. I have had long periods of being well too so I know its possible. Yes, one day at a time is the thing, isnt it. Also, as you point out, positive thinking...

Thanks Messed up.
    Shirley

Hi Shirley,

How did the visit with the mental health nurse go? I really hope she turned up. I wish I could help you more too but this is still relatively new for me. This looks like a great place for advice though.

Love sfee

My CBT therapist says that he had GAD and that he feels he is cured now! I think it can be cured in time and with a lot of hard work, i need to keep believing that.

The "cure" is within us in our thinking patterns.

Identify the fears that trigger the anxiety symptoms and learn new ways of thinking to counteract the negative thought patterns. The fears will be overcome and the anxiety symptoms melt. There is ALWAYS hope because there is ALWAYS a way!

Hi sfee, How are you this morning? I am still unreal and got a bit of an headache too. Yes the Nurse turned up though it was after I had rang to find out where she was! She stayed about an hour and listened to how I had got on last year. When I started recovering and then the relapse etc. And she feels that I need to be doing some sort of voluntary work to get me out of the house two or three times a week, to be with other people and to do something positive. I know she is right. Voluntary work helped me last year and took my mind off me. She also suggests writing down a list of positives and also doing so exercise as that would use up the adrenalin. Anyway she is going to keep in touch with me and also suggests that I e-mail her if I need her. Yes sfee, this is a great place for advice and we all know we are not alone with how we are feeling too.

Shirley x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information