Thread: start of 'real' illness or anxiety?

start of 'real' illness or anxiety?

hi all thought it might help to get some thoughts down here rather than having them cluttering my head!

So, one of the hardest things I'm finding in my recovery from a mix of panic/GAD is not being able to tell the difference between when I'm really ill or if I'm just presenting anxiety symptoms.
    Sometimes I can know yes this is just anxiety I might be feeling a little stomach churning/butterflies etc etc but it's just anxiety and will pass.
    Other times however I get nausea, stomach pain, headache/unsteadyness and I think 'oh no this might be the start of norovirus/food poisoning/a bad IBS attack'.
    I feel like this today and part of me is saying it's just because my Mum's away and got a new job starting soon so of course I'm going to be feeling more anxious and my body is reacting but then that other rotten part is still there too with the negative 'ah but WHAT IF it's not just anxiety like that last time you got ill and were throwing up and had to stay in bed for a week remember how awful it was and how much it hurt? and you've got your induction on Wed you'll have to ring and they'll not want to hire you anymore'
    aaahh it really does help writing out your thoughts I feel better already actually being able to read that negative voice it's like a devil on my shoulder!
    X

Re: start of 'real' illness or anxiety?

Vicky you sound just like me! I could have written all that myself. It is so frustrating. It does help though to talk to others and to know that you are not alone in this x

hi ya my name is leanne i can totally relate to how ur feeling i wake up every day thinking something is wrong with me its so drainning hope ur okxx

thanks girls feeling a lot better today it really does help knowing other people are going through/have gone through the same sort of things. This forum is so valuable for that
    X

Yes I go through this. Especially since 2 months ago when I went to work believing I had ibs symptoms and I actually had a stomach bug. Now I don't trust my own judgement :-( which makes the anxiety worse

Me too; its the hardest thing to rationalise... is it real or is it anxiety and how on earth do you tell the difference. I have started CBT and it really helps me rationalise and get on paper all those thoughts swimming around my head. It helps to read it back some time later too when the anxiety has gone. x

Thread Information