Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: citalopram side effects

citalopram side effects

ive been on citalopram for 4 days now and right from the start evn before taking them really ive been nauseous. the thing is though i feel really nauseous first thing on a morning the worse and as soon as ive had my breakfast i take my tablet and it eases off a bit. is this normal for citalopram to HELP nausea instead of causing it??

ive also been having headaches since taking them and rreally bad stiff neck and shoulders and jaws. i catch myself clenching my jaws together too which i never used to do before!! whats that all about [:O]

rachel xxx

Worry,

I had all of the same side effects as your having when i started on citalopram been on it about 12 weeks now, after first few weeks of side effects they wore of, but then i upted the dose and they started again but wore of again after a few weeks, only thing i still feel just now is tiredness, but well didnt sleep much before taking anything and having good sleeps now so worth it and helping the anxiety ;>

Caroline.x.

Hi Rachel,Iv been on citalopram a while.I had these side affects and like caroline after a few weeks they wore off.You body has to get used to them.

Ellen XX

cheers girls, good to know im not imagining things lol.
    another thing ive noticed is i cant stop bloomin yawning!!
    anybody had this too ?

Rachel,

I'm on 40mg of Citalopram a day and have a list of side-effects as long as your arm .... but they do seem to, just, be keeping my anxiety/depression under control.

You've probably read various threads on the med's but the most common comment is that they take between 4 - 8 weeks to 'kick-in', depending on your metabolism I suppose.

My advice (I've been on this pill for about 18 months now) is to persevere and, as long as they're not too severe, learn to accept the side-effects.

Happiness and light to all,
    'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
    ’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
    Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
    Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
    But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
    I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

I am starting citalopram and just woindering how severe the side effects usually are? i know it is supposed to make you sick to your stomach, but is it something really difficult to live with? i am a student and am hoping i will be able to attend classes and do work without puking, etc.
    thanks,
    claire

I'm actually on the drop version. I'm not 100% sure if they're working. Actually, they must be as I don't panic as often but then again I avoid most situations. Anyways, an annoying side effect was twitching. I don't do it anymore but people though I have torrets! My head would flip backwards. It goes though.

Chanelle,

Don't worry about the twitching, it's called a hypnagogic myoclonic twitch or “Hypnic jerk” and is a common side-effect of Citalopram. I jerk like a zombie in a bad B-movie!!

It can be embarrassing when it happens in public but my kids laugh at their old man when I'm watching TV and one 'comes along', but, hey, without the Citalopram where would we be?

Persevere m'dear, persevere.

Happiness and light to all,
    'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
    ’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
    Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
    Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
    But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
    I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

Another serious side effect of Citalopram is seizures, although my case is weird, i had suicidal thoughts whilst on the medication, i took two overdoses, one not so serious but the second one i took over 50 20mg tablets before i went to work, had a seizure in work and on top of that i have memory loss of that happening, after was taken off citalopram and put on Mirtazapine, was also diagnosed as having a personality disorder apparently suicidal attempts are a common sign of people with personality disorders in my case. I read on the patient information sheet that it does cause suicidal tendencies although i didn't believe it or believe i actually would. One of my other problems is insomnia and i gotta say i have been on a number of sleeping tablets e.g. Valium, zopiclone but Mirtazapine which is not a benzo actually is a hell lot more effective.

Re: citalopram side effects

i had the stiff neck plus i have pins and needles in my left arm and some times it feals num any 1 elce getting the pins and needles as im worried now im on 20mg samxxxxxxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information