Thread: my referral

my referral

ok so after waiting 4 months i finally get a call saying they had received a letter from my Doctor etc etc and they told me a date at the end of april for my referral appointment - so actually 5 month wait - great!

Im worried though - the woman sounded about 2 years older than my doctor so about 16. She also seemed rather drippy and she is a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist. I dont mean to sound like a snob but i really wanted to speak to someone who was actually medically trained ie a psychiatrist rather than someone with a 2 bob psychology degree from their local polytechnic.

So now im stressing and i dont think that i will be able to talk to her, i was really looking forward to seeing someone who i could be 100% honest with and tell them everything and get it all off my shoulders. My Dr tries to help but as he even admitted at my last appointment "he doesnt know too much about it" even though i have seen him 5 times since January you would have thought he might have done a bit of research.

anyway what is the first appointment going to be like?

Re: my referral

My first appointment went ok - now they go pretty well.
    Before my first appointment I had an assessment with someone to see if CBT would be good for me.

First appointment will be to get some information about your OCD, how you're feeling, that kind of thing.

I see a psychologist - she's awesome - she helps so much - she's the only person I trust.
    It's ok to see a psychologist - mine is great
    You can always change if you want to see a different psychologist.

Well your psychologist will probably get you an appointment with a psychiatrist, mine did - she kept asking until I agreed - that's when extra stuff got added and not just OCD.

Good Luck with it

Let me explain the lack of understanding here of psychologists and psychiatrists.

Just to let you know, that a qualified Clinical Psychologist has (a psych degree, years and years of experience in assessment and therapy/treatments, and then a doctorate training of clinical psychology, before they are qualified).

Psychiatrist has a medical degree and psychiatry training. A psychiatrist mainly deals with giving medication, recommending medication. They are good at this stuff.

I am currently seeing both, a psychiatrist told me what was the best medication for me, and my GP now monitors that. I see a Clinical Psychologist weekly for integrative therapy for my OCD and depression.

Really I dont think medication by itself is going to help, no matter what, you will always be referred to a Clinical Psychologist, as they deal with the psychological issues around OCD NOT a psychiatrist e.g. ruminating on thoughts/acting on them/your cognitions/altering this automatic thinking/ as well as learning the possible causes/ and coping strategies, hopefully to reduce the symptoms and improve your self esteem and quality of life.

its this afternoon and im scared :(

Thread Information