Thread: peak flow meter

peak flow meter

Hi was just wondering, I smoke and get out of breath and cough a lot but get a reading of 475 aprox on a peak flow meter. Anyone know what a normal reading is? thanks Vernon

Hi Vernon.
    There is no normal reading, it depends on your age and height. I have asthma and my normal peak flow should be 490 I think. It's usually 500 except when I have a cold like now and it's only 450.
    475 isn't generally a bad reading but only a doctor can tell you what it should be for your age/height as that's how they calculate what it should be.
    I heave a very healthy male friend aged 36, never smoked and he can do only 400 ish, while my husband who used to smoke and is 40 can manage 600, so it really varies. It also depends on your technique, if you're not used to doing peak flows you can sometimes get a lower reading.
    Lisa

thanks yes I thought that I am sure someone with the knack can make it high. my wife is very fit, runs everywhere dont smoke and does a little over 300, kids are fit and do less than me but my 18 year old with asthma does the highest lol. thanks. Vernon

Thread Information