Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Tests

Blood Tests

Tomorrow i am having some blood tests done, i just hate needles, i don't know why but i have a big fear of them and dread having blood tests, i am hoping that they don't want to take too much blood out of me, i find that blood tests do hurt a bit and are uncomfortable.

Blood tests pick up most things though don't they? like cancer, thyroid problems, diabetes, anaemia, kidney/liver problems etc and probably loads of other things and i know it's important to have these tests done, i'm dreading having it done and i am dreading the results as well, the doctor said that if i arrange to see him on friday the results should be back, so they obviously get them done quick to get the resuslt's back within 4 days.

Am i right in thinking that if something bad was picked up in the tests then the doctor would call me way before my appointment on friday?

Re: Blood Tests

Hiya,

Sorry to hear about your worries over your blood tests. I had a phobia of needles until I fell pregnant, then needed so many tests I had to get used to them.

My limited experience with people and blood tests (myself and a few friends and family members) is that yes, if there is anything serious identified, they call you ASAP. Otherwise, if you just have a follow up appointment it should be straight forward.

I'm sorry that this is worrying you so much (I have to have a very minor operation soon which shouldn't worry me, but is). I don't know if you have reason to believe that they are looking for anything serious, but I hope that it all works out and that your mind is put at rest.

I agree that blood tests themselves can sometimes hurt a little. Luckily unless you get a particularly inept medic, they are over very quickly.

Wish you well!

Darcy

Thank you for your reply, i'm sure i will be fine but i will be worrying about the needle until i have had it and it is all over and done with.

The doctor is not looking for anything in particular, i wrote down a list of my symptoms, the GP never said what could be causing my problems but just said that he would do some blood tests to see if there is anything wrong with me and the GP also said that they would look at it both ways to see whether i have a medical problem or whether anxiety could be causing my problems.

If they come back negative then the doctor will probably just say that it's down to anxiety, i mentioned to the GP that i have some symptoms of anaemia and they said they would test for that and other things such as thyroid problems and diabetes etc.

Hopefully they will come back negative but you never know...........

hi!

im in exactly the same boat as you.
    hate needles, scared to death of needle then results, and also have to have a blood test tomorrow.....

also, i dont know what your symptoms are but i have a list as well, and told doc and she also thinks anxiety symptoms but wants to do blood just to check not diabetes, thyroid etc......

so your not alone!!!!!

i have had blood tests that have hardly hurt at all!! so heres to hoping..also im told needle will only be in for 1 min....

ive got a post on all this in phobias.....

good luck with yours! i think it is the only way to sort it all out, otherwise i would have certainly taken any other test not involving needles....i was even asking if doc could use period as blood test, but she said blood mixed with eggs etc..(sorry to much info i know, but was worth asking about eh?)

lolol.....
    my plan of action is im going to take a xanax to calm me before and use a cream on the spot they will stab so it will numb the area a little, then im just gonna prob cry and count down till the needle is out,....

im told it takes about 2 days for results......so ill cross fingers for both of us..

Quote Originally Posted by peach View Post
    hi!

im in exactly the same boat as you.
    hate needles, scared to death of needle then results, and also have to have a blood test tomorrow.....

also, i dont know what your symptoms are but i have a list as well, and told doc and she also thinks anxiety symptoms but wants to do blood just to check not diabetes, thyroid etc......

so your not alone!!!!!

i have had blood tests that have hardly hurt at all!! so heres to hoping..also im told needle will only be in for 1 min....

ive got a post on all this in phobias.....

good luck with yours! i think it is the only way to sort it all out, otherwise i would have certainly taken any other test not involving needles....i was even asking if doc could use period as blood test, but she said blood mixed with eggs etc..(sorry to much info i know, but was worth asking about eh?)

lolol.....
    my plan of action is im going to take a xanax to calm me before and use a cream on the spot they will stab so it will numb the area a little, then im just gonna prob cry and count down till the needle is out,....

im told it takes about 2 days for results......so ill cross fingers for both of us..

Thanks for your message, I hope your blood tests go/went ok.

The blood test wasn't as bad as i thought but i didn't eat anything before i left home and i already felt faint as feeling faint is one of the main symptoms i am getting at the moment.

The person who did my blood tests asked whether i would like to lie down, i said yes, it didn't hurt, it just felt uncomfortable and seemed to be in for ages, 3 bottles of blood were taken.

I have to say my symptoms today are worse than ever, i feel very faint and so weak, i struggled to walk to the doctor's as i have no energy at all and felt like i was going to collapse, i still feel the same now.

I should get my results by thursday/friday, now i'm worrying about my results but i hope they come back negative, i also hope that your results come back negative as well.

Blood tests pick up alot of things don't they? obviously they don't pick up everything, i know that they pick up things such as cancer, thyroid problems, anaemia, diabetes etc but what else do they pick up?

Can anyone tell me what things blood tests can pick up? thanks.

Hi YorkshireGuy,

It would be best not to speculate on the nature of the tests.
    I have previously had tests for liver function,thyroid test,kidney tests.
    It is more important that you try to take your focus away from this waiting:-
    This is having an adverse effect on you and your anxiety is rising.This will not bring Results day here any quicker.Between now and then,focus on distracting yourself by doing the things you like-push yourself to do this if necessary as it is worth it.
    Break the cycle of negative thinking and give yourself a break.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Hi Yorkshire guy. Well done for coping so well with the needle thing. My son has a problem with needles but only in that part of the arm where they take blood. He now insists they take it from his hand or wrist and he is much better. General blood test like those you are having done will show up lots of different things some really minor as well as things that may need treatment. They will also help the doc make a diagnosis about your anxiety so can be a really good thing. I have an under active thyroid plus a type of arthiritis that affects my soft tissue and these have both been picked up from blood tests. I take meds for both of these and have regular blood tests to check levels other wise no probs. good luck and try and do as chalky suggests.

Thanks for all the replies.................

How did your blood tests go peach?

Anyone know when is the earliest i can ring my GP surgery for the results? I just want to hurry up and find out so i can put my mind at rest one way or the other.

They were done yesterday morning, i know usually they only take 2-3 days, phoning up tomorrow might be a bit too early, maybe i should ring on thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information