Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swallowing ....

Swallowing ....

I've just joined up today, and read through a lot of previous posts as well as having a brief chat with the live peeps.

Now I've read quite a bit about people feeling like they have lump in their throat which won't go away, and this is certainly a symptom of anxiety.

I have this feeling everyday, feeling like this since I started suffering with general daytime anxiety about 4 months ago. About 2 months ago I sought out some self help material, learned to talk myself down from a Panic attack when I felt the urge rising. I even joined a gym and for a few weeks was getting everything back on an even keal.

However the problem with the feeling in my throat has got worse. While I've had a bottle of water in tow for the last 4 months (god only knows what people must think), its become a real problem.

The last few times I've been down my local shop, or even ventured out, I get the feeling I can't swallow. It then degenerates with me trying to swallow a couple of times, nothing being swallowed, and straight into a full blown Panic attack in seconds. Like going from mild ill-ease to get me out of hear now !

I was begining to cope a lot better prior to this onset about 3 weeks before Christmas. As it is, I'm now fearful that I can't talk myself down because it comes right out of nowhere *bang*.

Such has become the extent of the problem, that I haven't left the house for the last 3 weeks. A jolly old Christmas was had by all, unfortunately minus myself.

I have other symptoms beside, but its this one "out of the blue" panic that I'm finding most difficult to live with. While I appreciate and know its a symptom of my condition, I feel absolutely helpless when it strikes.

I was wondering if anyone else with a simlar problem may have found a coping mechanism which I could give a try ? Its a New Year, I'd like to get out again, and realise the longer I don't the higher the mountain that will have to be climbed.

Any ideas ?

Krakers.

Hi Krakers,

I too have had the lump in the throat thing back in April. I think its called globus hysterics. I had it for about 2 months then when I realised after joining this forum and reading posts about it went away as I wasn't scared anymore and realised it was just another symptom of anxiety and I wasn't alone so I stopped thinking about it and it gradually went away. I do still get it the odd time now but it doesn't last as I don't dwell on it anymore. Hope this helps.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Thanks for your reply Mandy. Globus Histericus - it certainly sounds just right.

Like many things with anxiety, it probably isn't helping that I'm fixating on it. So much so that I do actually get to the point where I can't swallow - 3 or 4 dry gulps sends me into Panic Attack. Obviously I do eventually swallow, but by that time my heads completely gone.

I wonder if I'm just swallowing too much because I'm thinking about it all the time. It did actually go away for a spell (2 weeks or so), but at that time I was fixating about my breathing - that was worse than the swallowing.

Would be nice if I got up tomorrow and didn't think about it first thing when I wake. Maybe then I could get through a day without it. Although having said that, thinking of leaving the house right now seems like an ordeal.

Krakers.

Sorry for an instant reply to myself - you must all think I like the sound of my own voice.

I've just read my previous post and it seems really negative. Thinks its time for me to review my self help tapes - wherever has my positive thinking gone !

Krakers.

Hey Krakers,

When I read some of the posts I've made espically when I joined in April i's hard to believe that it was me posted them they were so negative. This site and the people on here have been a godsend to me and I know they will be for you too. It's a blessing knowing we are not alone and that other people here have experienced the same as us.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Hi Krakers

Welcome to the forum

Please dont worry about sounding "negative" in your posts we have all done it, blimey if you read any of mine you will find they have probably been edited lol! Your posts will probably even be on comfort to some as it makes people realise they are not alone with all this stuff.

As for the water I do the same, I don't have a lump in my throat but I do have problems with "over" swallowing and the panics that come after, I feel that my mouth and throat are drying up and need the moisture. I also have to have a packet of strong mints on the go too!! My house and car are littered with water bottles!!!

Take care

Steph

Hey, Ive had the swallowing problem since i had anxiety problems. I even got the doctor to give me a test when you swallow some gooey stuff and then doctors x ray it. of course nothng there. Now i know its a form of anxiety it doesnt bother me so much. When i eat tea or dinner and theres no problem i know its in my head. Ive also had the sudden panics when i couldnt swallow and go all red. I relate it when you have a cold and sometimes you cant breate through your nose and you panic, if you take a deep breath its usually alot better and sorts it self out.
    chris.

Hi,

I had the lump in the throat sensation for over a year, it went in the summer but has recently returned. The key to getting rid of it.............

Ignore it.

Sounds impossible and pretty tricky to do, but believe me, its the only way to beat it.

Take care,

D

-----------------------------
    I want to go up to my anxiety, smile, put my arm around it and say to it caringly, 'Hey! How are you? How's your day been?'

Then, just as its about to answer me, I wanna throw a sack over it and give it a hiding within an inch of its life.

That would be nice.

Thanks for all the replies, they've been most helpful.

Knowing the name of the problem and that its a lot more common than I thought I think has helped. Today has gone a lot smoother than yesterday, and I've barely noticed it at all.

Thanks again.

Krakers.

difficulty swallowing is due to tension in your neck muscles.try to let them relaxe and the swallowing will improve.

james mcgrath

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information