Thread: Death by Esophageal cancer?! Scared out of my mind!

Death by Esophageal cancer?! Scared out of my mind!

Hello. I'm a 19 year old male, and I am scared out of my mind that I have stage three or higher esophageal cancer. It started a couple of weeks ago, when I began to have a bit of difficulty swallowing solid food. Originally, I thought nothing of it, as I had the same issue in May and the issue resolved itself within a couple of weeks. However, as time progressed, I started to feel worse. I felt like there was a lump in my throat, which I still feel 100% to this day is a tumour. The doctor stated that nothing was wrong with me and that I am worrying too much. I initially believed him, as a few days later, I was able to swallow food normally again. However, a couple of days ago, the swallowing problem reappeared and increased in intensity. In addition, I began to feel back pain. The final nail in the coffin for me was the fact that over the last 4 days, I have lost 3 pounds without any change in my eating habits. I am certain that I will continue losing weight in the coming days. As of now, I am convinced that I have esophageal cancer that is at stage three AT BEST. I have already started counting the days to my inevitable death from this. I am certain that my life will end before it even really began. Please help.

Re: Death by Esophageal cancer?! Scared out of my mind!

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

I'm a Stage IV Head and Neck cancer survivor and what you describe is a rather common anxiety symptom.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi,
    I agree with Fishmanpa. Your symptoms wont just stop and start, and how on earth you have managed to stage your "cancer" let alone diagnose it is quite a miracle. You are focused on thinking that you cant swallow food, so then you have trouble doing so. You have to believe that you can - you even said yourself that this has happened before and resolved itself. Also, losing 3lb in 4 days is nothing - I do that and put it back on all the time, depending on what I eat/how stressed I am etc. If you had stage 3/4 of a cancer then Im sure that you would pretty much be a lot more poorly than you are. Chin up x

Thank you both for your answers. I seem to be gaining weight again, which is a good sign.

That's a good sign. You need to distract yourself while eating so you don't focus on the swallowing

Yeah, I usually watch YouTube videos while eating now. This seems to be an on and off thing, since my throat has been okay for a few days, and the soreness seems to have returned today. Is there anything that fits that criteria?

Thread Information