Thread: thumb twitching

thumb twitching

I have been experiencing thumb twitching for about 8 months now mostly in the morning and late night. I worry about MS or parkinsons. does anyone here have this problem. Im 32 and have had this my whole life but only maybe 2 times a year. now I get it all the time. Im not sure if its brought on from my nerves.

Hi Kathy,

Well it's certainly not like either MS or Parkinsons. They both present very differently.

Is it both thumbs or just one particular one ? Does stress increase the frequency ?

Perhaps you do or did a job that aggrevates it or a hobby has some influence.
    Or as you mention - it may be your version of a nervous tic.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

I'd agree, it doesn't sound like anything serious but if it's increasingly bugging you, get it checked out. I wonder why it's early in the morning and late at night? Is that when you have time to think about it? Someone on another board wrote that if you think about any part of your body for long enough, it can begin to seem strange and worrisome!

Jim

Hi,

I've had this same problem. My thumb on my left hand twitches. I too have been worried it is parkinsons. It doesn't happen all the time but a few weeks ago it seemed to happen on and off for a few days.

My hands tremour too. Is that teh same sort of thing? I'm not sure if it's nerves or something else.

Take care,
    Scott

hi,

sounds very much like a nervous tic...writing for lengthy periods with a pen/pencil can easily start it off..also,when we sit at a desk,we tend to rest on an elbow,again this can cause the thumb,hand to twitch.

just a thought..best wishes..bryan

Thanks Bryan.

it actually happens when i'm in bed or when I'm walking. It probably is just nerves.

Thanks

Take care,
    Scott

hey I also get this a whole bunch of time too in my right thumb and as you say it happens at night.

I asked the doctor who said oh forget that its just a nerve irritation and most deff, NOTHING serious.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks for your message. i haven't actually had that for a while now - it just seemed to be for a few days then it went away. i still get tremours in my hands though quite often.

Scott

Re: thumb twitching

OK, this is a must read for all of you. I am 54 and about one year ago went into a downhill slide you would not believe. Let me set the stage here. I have been perfectly healthy all of my life. Extremely active, weight right where it should be, blood pressure perfect, physical every year with no issues what so ever. We are talking zero issues and very very active. One day out of nowhere I noticed by thumb twitching. I used to play a lot of tennis so and this could happen once or twice so I thought nothing of it. Then, it seemed to get worse so I started to panic a little. And trust me, I am the farthest thing from a panic type person you will ever hear from. Basically bullet proof with my health and not a worrier at all... But, this really got me thinking. And, what was strange was that I was having some type of issue all of the sudden with urinating. A lot of men have this at about my age, but again kind of strange. I then started reading on the web sites and by the fourth or fifth night I was in a full blown freaked out state. Yes, everything from ALS, MS, you name it, I read it. Starting doing push ups, testing my strength all the time, jumping up our steps on one foot, etc., etc. This thing started to rule my life. OK, fast forward to one year and one month later. Here is what I have figured out happened. First, I started taking vitamins and over did it right off the bat. Second, I was doing so many push ups I was making my hands, thumbs and everything else in my body shake. And, I am certain the meds I started taking to help me urinate messed me up more. But, the main problem was I was stressing over this thing to no end. Listen to me. STOP. YOU ARE SIMPLY MAKING IT WORSE. I HAVE NEVER BEEN A BELIEVER IN THE FACT THAT STRESS AND WORRY COULD ACTUALLY HAVE AN IMPACT ON YOUR HEALTH IN A BIG WAY. WRONG BIG TIME. I am now completely over it, working out at the gym three days a week, running a mile or two three days a week and taking a very aggressive work out class that is extremely hard, especially for a 54 year old man. No issue what so ever for over 6 months. I endured it about 4 months. I don't even think about it now. I will admit the websites like this was what got me out of that funk. Get on with your life. Pray to God and he will get you through it. But one thing is for sure – there are thousands of people out there right now who are where I was one year ago. You will snap out of it and this will be a thing of the past if you will let it. Don’t waste one more day of your life with this crap. Move on, there are plenty of other things to do and fret over that may actually be real. If you are a hypochondriac then worry away because you will likely just substitute something else tomorrow. But if you are a normal everyday person who suddenly found himself or herself in this situation, get out now mentally. Just put it down, move forward and don’t look back. Join the gym and work your but off. Nobody with those issues for real can do that. Good luck.

Thread Information