Thread: beta blockers

beta blockers

hello, i have just been put on beta blockers to reduce the 'wound up' state i always live in and have done for years. i am at my lowest and most anxious at the moment but refused to go back on seroxat after a succesful time off them ( i was on them for 7 years)

i currently feel very tired and wander how and when i will notice if these drugs work to reduce anxiety and symptoms? anyone ever been on these for anxiety??

thanks all

sophie.c.

Hi Sophie,

Well done for trying to tackle the anxiety on your own. It's a brave decision and good for you. At the end of the day it is YOU that has to tackle it regardless.

I was prescribed beta blockers for being in what was described as an "anxiety state". I was prescribed 25mg Atenolol daily.
    For me, it did clear the fog a bit. I didn't realise how much of a state I was in until the fog cleared and for the first time in a while I felt I could do things again.
    For me they kicked in pretty much straight away. It appeared, as I say, as a form of fog clearing. The slowed me down slightly.
    The key thing is that they are NOT A CURE. You will need to work on the issues causing you to be so anxious. Do all that you can to naturally calm yourself while you have the opportunity of being aided. Extreme anxiety can still break through the medication and I did have panic attacks while on them. This was just me though. I didn't like the idea of taking anything and so I actually became anxious about taking them. I stopped after about 3 and a half months. (Btw, when you stop, don't just stop. You need to come off of them gradually and under supervision).
    All in all they were very beneficial for me but the biggest aid for me has been education and talking to people about it I think.
    This site is an invaluable resource.
    I take it you have some Claire Weekes material or Meg's CD course???

Hope this is of some help.
    If I've not answered any of your questions please post again and I'll answer if I can.

Cheers,
    Trev

Thread Information