Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Dye Reaction

Hair Dye Reaction

Hi guys,

I'm really panicking at the moment & don't know where else to turn. :(
    Before my health anxiety started I used to dye my hair no problem, but ever since it got it's claws into me I just worry too much.
    I've been dying my hair since 2004 & never had any kind of reaction before. It's something that's always made me feel better. Before the anxiety of course...

Anyway, I'd left it ages & it really looked a mess so I just bit the bullet in a moment of madness & dyed it. I know I should have done the patch test, I know I'm stupid for not doing that but I just had a moment of bravery & didn't want to waste it. :( They're rare with me lately...

Anyway I was fine when it was on, not even any itching which I sometimes do get abit of. & It's turned out fine but now I'm worried about the delayed reaction cos I know you can get one upto 48 hours after using it. :(

I'm so scared now, I'm shaking, my mouth is sooo dry. I keep waiting for any little itch in my head & I keep imagining that my head is burning :'( I keep imagining my throat swelling up & not being to breathe, it's horrible.

What should I do? I wish I'd never done it... :(

'You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race'

Re: Hair Dye Reaction

It is highly unlikely that you would get a reaction if you have never had one before so try to calm down and not worry about it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

i agree with the above poster. i have been dying my hair now since i was 14 years old. im now 26, i have never had a reaction before in my life and i dye my hair about 5 times a year, used to be about twn times a year. anyway since my anxiety started i have only dyed my hair once (my anxiety started ten months ago) i was terrified, i have no idea why. i wasnt so much worried of a reaction i was more worried of getting it in my eyes and going blind! but i put the fear down to anxiety. and dyed it anyway. i was too panicking afterwards although during there was no pain/burning, but afterwards i thought i could feel it hurting. it was just my anxiety. this may sound odd but what i did was i had a cold bath. i didnt wash my hair again, but just laying in a cold bacth cooled me down and freshened me up. i felt great afterwards, the burning feeling i thought i could feel had gone and i could relax.

you wont have a reaction now, not without any kind of stinging at all during dying and if your used to dye like you say there is very little chance.

x ps hope your hair looks good. x

I know we tend to get urges to do things and cut corners and then worry afterwards all about the what ifs, but its mostly just needless worry and everything is ok.

So glad you have posted this topic on here as I now know I am not mad.

I started dyeing my hair in 1975 when I was 13 as just had to be blonde.
    The only thing I like about myself is my hair.

About a year ago I started to worry about dyeing my hair.
    Seemed to get a bit of a headache and sore throat after doing it.
    The last time I dyed my hair about 8 months ago really panicked thought I was going to die.
    Got headache and my body itched from head to toe for the next 24 hours.
    I was so sacred have not dared to dye my hair since.
    The problem is I do not know if it was anxiety or a reaction that made me feel ill.
    I am unsure if anxiety would cause itching from head to toe.

Of course I have made myself worse by googling and reading horror story's .

I have a problem now I have 8 months of dark hair regrowth and as I am now 48 feel so unattractive
    I have brought a number of wigs but they are so uncomfortable to wear and as I am very small and thin they make my face look even thinner.
    I just do not know what to do any more and cry so much over what I look like and think I will never meet a partner with hair like this.
    I have searched the web and can not find any product that is risk free.
    God knows what I will do when I start to go Gray.

Has anyone else had this problem and have the any answers .

Aw thanks so much guys, you've really put my mind at ease abit. I'm still gonna be worrying but just trying not to. I'm sure the burning is just me imagining it >.<

I'm sorry loveletter. I don't know of any hair dye without PPD [the stuff that people react to] you'd think by now we'd be able to make a safe hair dye, wouldn't you?
    I'd just go for it hun...you more than likely won't get a reaction & you'll feel much better.

But it's exactly how I've been feeling so I should take my own advice lol
    *hugs*

if you were going to have a life threatening reaction it would of happened by now. I didnt dye my hair for ages and the first few times i did even after patch tests i convinced myself my throat was swelling and couldnt swallow. try sipping water or sucking a sweet i find that helps with that symptom. I still dont like dyeing my hair but i do it now without the real panic just minor now. Youll be fine. Try doing something to keep your mind occupied for now
    denise

My throat has gone so sore now, I'm really scared & my head feels tight. :(

Things have been going too well lately, I knew something would spoil it. I've been having really good luck & I even got my cat back...[if you remember my post from a while ago saying she'd gone missing] & now I'm probably gonna die of a reaction :'(

Hi,
    I had my hair dresser out on monday to get my hair done and Im a nervous wreck till shes gone! I hate my colour and Ive just got another semi permenant colour to do tomorrow, Its one I have used before but will still get all kinds of bad feelings. Itchy scalp, tight throat, dry mouth...we can imagine ourselves into anything!
    I think your colour would have reacted by now. Yours is all done, Ive got mine to do tomorrow!
    Take care,

I used to dye my hair and always had a sore throat but it was from the fumes, not the dye.

Even though it can take up to 48 hours for side effects - most times symptoms show up in a few hours and just worsen as the 48 hours go on. Not suddenly after 48 hours. Perhaps the throat is from the smell and will wear off. Suck a sweet.

Loveletter as long as you do the patch test I am sure it would be okay.

I am 60 and only just starting to get grey hairs here and there. I am not going to bother to dye it...(she says now but lets see)

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information