Thread: Neck Stiff or Feeling Weird when standing?

Neck Stiff or Feeling Weird when standing?

I have been laying around in bed for about a week..I have been up off and on.. I feel something like a muscle or something in the back of the base of my neck that seems to feel as though its moving when I move my head..I lay in bed propped up alot and use the computer and then when I get up it feels as though my neck doesn't want to stand up on its on or just a plain weird feeling.. in the neck..I worry about this because of anuerysm and ateries..I have had a bout with sinus and flu lately and had weird problems with my eyes and balance and vertigo.I had some guy write to me and say that I had some rotation of c1 and c 2 vertebra or something to that extent that might be causing a kink in the artery going into the brain .That I had all the symptoms of it..I don't have the other symptoms now but it makes me worry something is going on.I have been told by doctors and a nurse friend of mine there is nothing wrong..But tonight I have that weird feeling of not being able to support my head when I walk..Is that just from leaning back too much ..Anyone else have this?

PRAYER FOR FREEDOM FROM SUFFERING

May all beings everywhere plagued
    with sufferings of body and mind
    quickly be freed from their illnesses.
    May those frightened cease to be afraid,
    and may those bound be free.
    May the powerless find power,
    and may people think of befriending each other.
    May those who find themselves in trackless, fearful wilderness--
    the children, the aged, the unprotected--
    be guarded by beneficent celestials,
    and may they swiftly attain Buddhahood.

Hi

I am sorry to hear you had sinus probs and the flu, all this does take it out on you and you do need to rest, but not to much or for to long.

Symptoms like 'flu'
    Influenza causes the body to release anti-bodies into the blood stream to attack the virus. This combination of anti-bodies and infection makes the body feel weak, sweaty and painful. Anxiety can have a similar effect, weakening the muscles, making you clammy and achy. Believe it or not the more you do physically the better this will become.

It sounds to me like you have been laying in bed for far to long. When we don't move for along time are muscle may get a little week. The muscles supporting the head need to get strong again, try doing some gentle exercise, by moving your head up and down and from side to side, do this very slow and at least 3 times a day, to strengthen the muscules again.

Who was this man who told you about a kink in the artery going to the brain, was he a proffesional [?] I can't see how ANYONE can tell you things like this without examining you,exrays ect. It sounds to me like he's just guessing. Which to an health anxiety sufferer, thats like a red rag to a bull.

I know you are finding it hard to believe the doctors and your nurse friend, but you must keep trying, keep fighting.

When I was acute, I had a very strange thing happen. I was eating out and all of a sudden my head dropped, ohh it was soo strange and only lasted seconds, I pulled my head back up as quick as is dropeed, it felt like for a split second, I could not support my head. This only happened a few time,s. It has not happened since. I did at the time put it down to another one of Mrs anxietys symptoms.

I do hope this helps a little. I know how much you are struggling with this at the mo and my heart goes out to you.

Wishing you well

LOVE JILLXX

I too have the neck problems, feelings of something shutting off etc, i have a curvature of the neck and put a lot of my problems, including dizziness, down to that. Sometimes we can stand up too quickly and go a little lightheaded as our systme adjusts, and also when we have been in one position for a long time and get stiff it can happen when we start moving properly again. I just take a deep breath and move my head and neck around as much as possible and use divertion techiniques to help at the time, it always gets better and i've been suffering with this for over a year and i'm still here. lol. Jill is right about keeping going and moving, helping to fight things off and not succumbing to it all, not giving in as it were and also by doing neck exercises, honestly this does help. Angie.x

It takes a minute to get anxiety, but a lifetime to get rid of it!!!

Hi, Got up and moved around last night and started feeling a bit better about my head...I suppose im still weak from laying in bed but cant seem to break the habit too much.I always want to come back and lay down after doing something but getting better.I went outside to check on our truck today and then came back in and got ready and went to town to go to the grocery.The whole time I was driving I was shaking all over but its been weeks since I drove.I drove into town and went to the grocery for about 15 minutes and then went to the service station and aired up the tire on our truck.That doesnt seem like much but it was alot for me and then helped carrying in the groceries..My hands are a little weak now from airing the tire and driving ..and I feel a little dizzy coming in from the cold but everything else seems to be ok.You have to imagine i haven't driven in weeks..It was a little victory for me.I woke this morning with the sound of my heart pounding and looked at my chest..It wasn't beating fast just hard.It was pumping up my chest and down and then it subsided..I don't know what that was about but it got me a little weirded out especially since I went to sleep last night listening to what sounded to be like a gallop sound in my heart.Luckly for me the nurse that I know stopped by for a few minutes before I went to town and told me everything sounded normal.I forgot to ask her about the gallop sound in my heart but with it pounding all the way to the store I assume im ok..Thanks for replying..Sometimes when you write and nobody responds it freaks you out a little..Thanks again so very much.

I am really pleased that you had a victory, you did so well you should be really pleased with yourself right now, WELL DONE. That is the first step back up and now you've done it once you can do it again and keep building up your confidence again. That is a problem we all have, the confidence thing. We must not let our bodies rule us and at the moment we are. Sounds so simple and stupid i know but if we could conquer that we would be better i'm sure. Well done again and keep posting and keeping us up to date with your progress. I still get shaky and 'funny' going out but it is better than it used to be. Speak to you soon, keep up the good work, Angie.x

It takes a minute to get anxiety, but a lifetime to get rid of it!!!

I get the same thoughts and worries as you. It is horrible.

I too have vertigo and have had sinus probs that ended in an operation this year.

It's all part of the anxiety.

My psyc told me when I get these thoughts and worries to tell them to F*** off and talk my brain out of the thoughts. It works.

Deb

Debstar,

That is pretty much my last thing I can do..Years ago i had some anxiety ...kind of like now..many years ago.. One day I got so angry at myself and other people that I got an "I don't care attitude" and I don't really know how it came about or how I lost it but there has to be a way to get it back..Maybe thats the thing I need to do say what you said to my symptoms..Once a therapist told me .. When you get feelings or odd sensations just say its only a feeling it will go away..it worked for a long time.. But well I think I have lost my confidence and turned into a trembling ninny sometimes.. I just don't know what happened.. Ill try what you said.. and maybe I can recoup those old feelings..

Thread Information