Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you changed??

Question Have you changed??

Hi all.
    its day 39 for me now on cit. I have noticed that I have changed in my attitude towards certain things like housework, was never a big fan of that but now find myself doing it all evening. I also do not want to watch particular programmes on tv and other little things I have noticed that I doing which I never did before. I dont know if my brain is retraining or what or am I keeping within my comfort zone?? I do things in record time. microwave meals or a sandwich for dinner just as long as it does not take too much time I feel ok. This is weird sometimes as I think why am I acting like this . maybe my dose does need upping.I went to work this week trying to show my enthusiasm at returning whenever and I thought am I just gibbering here?? I dont know .everything else in my life is getting better and I am doing more-I wonder if I am trying to prove myself too much too soon??
    Jean

Re: Have you changed??

Jean,

Seem quite normal, my daughter refers to Cit as the happy pill. I kep cracking out laughing at Star Trek even!

As a male, however, I must issue this warning to all of my gender beware of Citalopram when you start to believe DIY is a good thing. This is a unwanted side effect of your medication.
    Made for justice, we clamour for vengeance.
    Made for relationship, we insist on our own way.
    Made for beauty, we are satisfied with sentiment.
    But new creation has already begun.
    The sun has begun to rise.

Tom Wright, The Bishop of Durham
    from Simply Christian

I found I changed as well. I've been on 40mgs of cit for almost a year and receiving counselling for almost 6 months.
    All the things I was too afraid to do or even try -I was suddenly doing them with little or no anxiety !
    I was able to drive after being unable to for 10 years. I could take classes like yoga and aromatherapy. All the things that my anxiety and depression had prevented I was able to do with ease.
    I could answer the phone, plan 2 trips (on airplanes no less) and even recently realized my dream of being mentally able to volunteer at a local animal shelter.

Everyone is different but this is how cit changed me.
    I don't know if therapy has been that helpful but just being able to do these things allows me to see my anticipatory anxiety was worse than actually doing it- so I am able to try more and more.

I haven't been on cit long, but I was on parox for a year and a half, and I expect my results with cit will be the same...

While on the meds I wasn't just the person I was before, but I was the person I aimed to become! I was 150% the person I could have been before. I realized several weeks into my treatment (in a wave of sudden clarity) that the haze had lifted, and things that would have dragged me down before were suddenly no issue at all! If I were assigned a large project, I sat down and did it, hacking away one piece at a time. Social events were no longer a "what-if," but a "let's go!" (My doctor suspects I have a touch of social phobia...) I did, however, become a crier. xD Anything that touched me, made me happy or sad, I would well up and cry. I NEVER cried before the "happy pills" lol...

I agree that cit has changed me, but seeing all your replies I more convinced than ever that it is not doing me any good - sorry to be a downer on the thread! I really wish I was with all of you.

I was quite severely depressed when my gp put me onto 20mg. I went back to him a week later and he told me to double up to 40mg; that was back in December.

The most notable changes I'm aware of are panic - from the moment I open my eyes my stomach goes into a knot. an almost overwhelming desire to top myself - that prompted the increase to 40mg but its still there. I have also started having sweaty nightmares and flashbacks about things that I didnt remember.

All of that is rather exhausting so my immediate reaction is to fall asleep whenever I can - I'd be lucky if I could get through a half hour episode of Futurama, and I've even fallen asleep in mid-conversation! And then sitting awake from 3am :P

I decided not to go back to my gp after being let down by him so I have another week or so before I will be off them.

Hi Muzz.
    Do you think 40mg is too high?? I am looking at getting my dose upped to30mg but then its day 40 something sod it cant even remember that! so it still could be early days for me.
    If you are unhappy with your gp ,see another one at the practice -they all have different approaches to meds.
    Wish you well
    Jean

Smile Re: Have you changed??

Hi Jean

8 weeks was the magic mark for me. Just the week before I was ranting on about how if I didn't feel better after 8 weeks then I was definitely upping to at least 30mg. The extra week made all the difference. I read somewhere that it can take up to 12 weeks for the dosage to become fully effective.

I feel little or no apprehension about anything these days and I seem to be able to do loads without the need to get a lot of sleep - go figure! I'm loving the Cit though and wouldn't want to be without it.

Wishing you all the best

Rich

Hi Rich
    I have a question. today or this week infact has been ok-fine even.Today there has been a tiny ball of anxiety rising. I have not been able to sit still, I cannot concentrate and seem to be experiencing re runs of when I was little. So weird. Any similiarities with you.
    Jean

Evening Jean

I've definitely changed since being on cit. After 6 weeks I felt better but then at 3 months I still felt anxious, increased to 40mg and now feel sooooo much better. Like you, I find that I can do more and always like to keep myself busy, especially if I am at home on my own in the evening, I always find something that needs doing. I ironed for England the other weekend, things that I didn't even know I owned!!!!! Brilliant cos I'm not a lover of ironing, who is!!!!!

One month isn't very long so maybe you need to try it for a bit longer, but if you go up to 30mg hopefully you will feel that much better. My Dr did tell me that 40mg was the best dosage for anxiety/panic.

All the best to you

Jannie x x

Hi Jannie
    glad you answered is it normal for cit. tho re what I ha put in my previous post? It has scared me this time is it what we call derealaization or what?? Very confusing tho
    Hope you are ok
    Jeanxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information