Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow heart rate...terrified...

Re: Slow heart rate...terrified...

Quote Originally Posted by 87sal87 View Post
    I had a horrible night. I was too scared to go to sleep because I thought if it was already low then it would probably stop all together if I went to sleep, so I’ve been up most of the night. Checked my pulse in my neck a few times this morning and still VERY low for me, low 60s, it’s very odd, especially after a night of no sleep and anxiety. I don’t know why it’s suddenly so low and my pulse feels weak. I didn’t feel unwell before I checked my pulse. I don’t want to have to go to A&E but this just seems so abnormal to me :( I’m far from an Athlete!!! I barely leave the house. I’m 31 years old and a normal(ish) weight...
    7 reassuring responses and advice (stop checking!) and you're still spiraling. This isn't helping you so what are you doing in real life to address your anxiety?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I've stopped checking but my heart has felt very 'funny' today, I guess only us know our own bodies and when something feels off. My right hand has been tingling too, so that's not helped, just tried to get on with my day as much as possible. Maybe it's something to do with my impending Thyroid diagnosis, as I've heard Thyroid issues can really mess around with your heart rythms

'You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race'

Ironic timing on this thread, as I just ran into this worry this morning..

So, I weighed myself this morning (after this week of redoubling my exercise efforts, and watching my salt and food much closer), and was down another few pounds. So, horray right? Well, not so much. Looking at my heart rate this morning, I saw that my sleep was averaging in the low 50's (with an occasional dip at 48). Frankly, that seems low (though, looking back at my data from the start of may, I was averaging the same, though maybe a few bpm higher). Sitting on the recliner this morning, chilling with my daughter however, got me worse. Just chilling, I saw my rate go down to 58.

I know, that sounds great.... for somebody in shape. But I am not in shape.. distinctly not in shape. So instead of being happy, it sets off alarm bells that I must be doing worse, not better, despite the meds and everything. I am taking thyroid medicine, but just switched brands last week, which I know can effect the body, even at the same dose. I don't really feel any symptoms that I can attribute to it, but it doesn't ease the worry.

I would love to think the improving resting heart rate I am seeing is because of my efforts.. I really do wish that. My anxiety just crushes me however, and says it can't be. Even worse.. I have a cardio follow-up appointment next month, which is just terrifying me.. not waiting on results, I just fear her will tell me now I am REALLY screwed, and beyond saving. I have no idea how to deal with it..

I'm sure you are hyperfocusing and that's what the issue is. I'm guilty of it myself at times and it makes a huge difference. What good does it do? Either go get an emergency doctor to look at you or try doing something else. Since you're posting in the health anxiety forum, you probably know what the correct answer is. This HA is a beast, but you have to do the difficult work of changing your behavior and patterns. It's not ever an easy thing to do, but necessary.

60-100 resting rate is normal, you say low 60s, that is normal. Stop checking

Quote Originally Posted by Pkstracy View Post
    60-100 resting rate is normal, you say low 60s, that is normal. Stop checking
    It's easy to say.. but I have never been thy low resting before. Even more, it seems that it can creep into the high 50s. For a fat slob like me, where a few months ago I celebrated seeing high 60s resting, it feels like quiet a shift..

I literally just was at the cardiologist today for a follow-up based off of something else (mostly HA triggered). My own HR has dropped a bit the past few days so I asked him, is it a big deal that my fitbit is showing my HR dropping to around 55 at rest (awake) and down to 50 while sleeping. (typically I'm at about 60). He wasn't the slightest bit worried about it. I'm 36, sedentary, a bit on the skinny side, but definitely not athletic.

He told me some people, yes especially athletes but not always, can have HR dip even into the 30s while sleeping and it wasn't a problem. He told me the only reason it would be worrisome is if lightheadedness accompanied the low HR.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Well, i broke my rule and did research, but i think it is a positive takeaway for me. From the cleaveland clinic:

"If you have bradycardia, you’ll have a sustained heart rate below 60 even when you’re awake and active. A normal range is from 60 to 100 beats-per-minute while awake. The heart rate can also slow down normally while we are asleep to 40 to 60 beats a minute."

If i am sitting very still, say in the recliner or driving, i can see it creep to 57-58.. but even then, it will come back up with just a bit of movement (or even without), and i haven't seen it actually stay there. If i get up and move, no problem at all getting to the 80s (and if i am really cranking and walking over 100). And indeed my sleep falls into the range they noted.

Now to try to put that information to use.

If you're that concerned then go to a doctor.

I cant offer any advice, but just wanted to let you know i know exactly how you feel. I get this sometimes too. Its goes low 50’s which is low for me and i find it really uncomfortable. How you feeling now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information