Thread: Heartrate "racing" after exercise

Heartrate "racing" after exercise

Sometimes after exercising I've noticed my heart rate acting weirdly. It drops down from 150-180 to around 80-100 in a minute or so but then it stays there. What seems to happen is that it beats at around 100 for maybe 30 seconds then it directly falls down to 80 and slowly builds up to 100 again. This keeps repeating for a while (I try to stop checking pulse but I've had it happen for 30 minutes or so).

I've googled around (like you shouldn't) for this phenomena, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere (maybe I haven't googled the right terms). Meaning it's either completely normal, or some serious out-there weird heart disease/symptom. Anyone here ever experienced this?

I've also seen some big changes in heartrate. While my resting rate waking up is mostly the same (60-70), my heartrate throughout the day is VERY VARYING. Some days it's at around 60 the whole day (except during activity of course), while some days it's around 80 and some days it's around 100 the entire day (without me actually feeling anxious). I'm not sure what is causing it, and I understand it can be caused by a plethora of reasons like my pepsi addiction, occasional smoking, temperature outside and of course anxiety itself. However I seldom get other physical symptoms.

Re: Heartrate "racing" after exercise

It sounds like a normal heart rate that varies to me

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

The numbers seem normal to me but the detail in which you can document all the different rates at various times points to the real issue.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yep, all seems completely normal.

The only abnormality is you checking it. Something I used to do ALL the time. Checking in itself will cause your heart rate to be elevated.

I lift weights. Sometimes very heavy weight.

Whenever I am lifting heavy, or doing squats, deadlifts etc I will always experience the following immediately after:

* Very fast heart rate
    * Out of breath/Panting
    * Lightheaded/Dizzy
    * Sweating
    * Adrenaline rush

All of the above are perfectly normal in this instance. It takes me at least 30 seconds to start to feel normal. After a set it feels like my body is buzzing, and vibrating, and pumping with adrenaline. It's a nice feeling while lifting, but once you've finished your set your body is still ramped up but you're just stood still trying to cool off. It's an uncomfortable feeling sometimes but you learn to love it.

After a heavy set I pace the room back and forth because its my way of dealing with that feeling. Sometimes I'll sip water. I then stretch and practice deep breathing slowly. Within a minute I'll be feeling normal, but still with an elevated heart rate.

I then wait about 3 minutes before going again. It takes me about an hour to exercise, and in that entire hour my heart rate will be elevated. It will take about an hour or so after exercise for my heart to return to its resting heart rate.

If you're not lifting weight you probably won't have much of the above. But even running, or jumping rope, will cause your heart to work hard. Your muscles need blood, and fast. Your heart is beating harder and faster to get it there.

I still get anxious. If I push myself too far on a set I can feel like my body is about to just explode. I will sometimes still get brief panic attacks after a set. When this happens I'll usually head to the window and breath in the cold air. Having a panic attack immediately after/during exercise is the worst because your body is already in an altered and stressful state.

I think the time worry would be when its taking a very long time for your breathing and HR to recover. If you're unfit it can take longer, but it will improve over time.

Just thought I'd share that.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 01-06-18 at 19:55.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thread Information