Thread: Stopping PPI drugs for Endoscopy

Stopping PPI drugs for Endoscopy

hi Ive been on a PPI drug for over three years and now have to stop it cold turkey for a week before an endoscopy. As the drug is not controlling my symptoms very well I am absolutely terrified at having to be without it for 7 days. The information leaflet from the hospital says no PPI or H2 blocker drugs for a week, but I can use Gaviscon, Settlers or Tums. These have NOT helped my symptoms in the past and I'm a complete wreck with worry over this.
    Has anyone had any experience of doing this and can tell me what worked for them and helped them cope?
    My GP bless him has given me short course of diazepam to help me through the "cold turkey" week but I know this will only help with the anxiety and not the acid symptoms.
    Any feedback would be most welcome
    Thanks

Re: Stopping PPI drugs for Endoscopy

It's a difficult one stopping ppis cold turkey as you can get acid rebound effect. What you should try to remember is that it's only a week and you can get through it for the sake of the test. The only things I can suggest doing is trying to follow the no acid diet as far as possible (i.e. no acidic foods like tomatoes, no coffee, alcohol, no spicey or fatty foods). Raise your bed head 6 - 8 inches and don't lie down within four hours of eating. Maybe try alkaline water. I'm sure you've done all this before though!

Use gaviscon and painkillers as even with the above, you'll still get acidity, but being prepared mentally for it will help you manage through it. The diazapam (sp?) will help your mood as well and make you less anxious. I've cold turkey on ppis before and it's not pleasant, so I completely feel for you. I'm currently trying to downdose on Nexium and am down to 10mg a day. I've had a bit of the acid rebound, it's not great.

Your endoscopy will be over in a flash (only about 5 - 10 minutes) and take sedation! It makes it so easy.

Good luck, you'll be fine. xxx

Thread Information