Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this racing thoughts?

Re: Is this racing thoughts?

Just wanted to let you know that I have the exact same thing. The chatter gets worse when I let it happen and it stops when I'm occupied with something.
    Anxiety makes us notice things more, and also, it does make our mind race. If you calm down, the racing mind calms down, too.

I also notice that I get it more when I spend too much time just with myself thinking about stuff. It's almost like thinking makes your mind race even more.

Also I hear you with not being able to distinguish between having an internal dialogue or having psychotic voices. I learned that the main difference is that if we were psychotic, we would hear them with our ears and we would think that these voices are real. As long as you can tell that these voices are in your head, in your own voice, that means they are your own thoughts rather than voices. Also, you stop them if you want, whereas truly psychotic people cannot stop them.

Yes, exactly, everything is worse when you're on your own. I find the same thing. I wish I could just be at peace with my own thoughts....

Yeah same here... I used to enjoy being all alone, now I always need people around.

I think the key is to stop being so afraid of our own thoughts.

I also used to feel most comfortable when on my own... I think that my issue is believing that my thoughts are somehow out of my control.

Yes, same here. Feels like they are out of control and we must probably learn that this is normal.

I think the subconscious is always out of control in every person. That's part of the definition about what subconsciousness is! I think our anxiety causes hyperawareness that makes us even notice our deepest, subconscious thoughts.

Clara, you're right. My therapist always tells me that my thoughts are mine and are therefore under my control, but it's somehow hard to believe this...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information