Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panicking about number of X rays over the years

Panicking about number of X rays over the years

Not sure what has triggered this latest HA but I am having a major panic here about the number of X rays I have had over the years and whether I am going to get cancer as a result. It could be because I went for a mammogram last November as I had some concerns (I was due my routine one this year anyway) and had my first routine one 3 years ago at 52. I then started thinking about the fact that I have had two previous mammograms, one in 2010 (when I had a benign lump) and one in 2005, not to mention a chest X ray a few years ago and a couple of X rays on my bladder and kidneys back in my early thirties and teens (I had reflux in the ureters and it was damaging my kidneys, needed surgery for that). I also had a throat X ray as a child. Have also had a few teeth X rays that the dentist does when I go for check ups - does anyone else's dentist do these?? I have not had any CT scans and only a couple of MRIs (which don't use radiation) - but adding up the X rays is really freaking me out. None of this has ever bothered me previously but I can't get the thoughts out of my head now and it's making me so anxious that I am physically shaking with fear. Please, please can anyone help me? Don't want to go to the docs about this as I am always there and he is working at finding me medication that suits my anxious state, doesn't seem to be working yet!

Re: Panicking about number of X rays over the years

You really have nothing to worry about, Jane. Your exposure to radiation throughout your life has been extremely low. I'm sure FMP will comment about the amount of radiation he's been exposed to in order to treat his illnesses.My son also has been exposed to a lot of radiation from scans which have been deemed necessary since childhood due to congenital abnormalities. He is now 32 and free from any from any form of cancer.

You have nothing to worry about-it's your HA telling you to panic when there is no reason.

Thanks Pulisa for your response, much appreciated. This site is a wonderful support network.

Please don't ruminate on this, Jane? You really have had minimal exposure and I'm sure others will say the same thing. I hope you will be able to accept this reassurance.

Thanks, yes your original reply was very reassuring and I will certainly try to move on - I just get stuck with these thoughts and do indeed 'ruminate'. It's so crazy that I have never analysed or worried about these X rays before (last week it wasn't in my head! - it's only this week) and mainly because I suddenly thought about the number of screening mammograms I will have every three years going forward until I'm 70 and I spotted something about the risks...

I have probably been quite a few extra scans due to me having NF which are MRI and will have them for the rest of my life, spine scan as one of my gp wanted a nosey round a curve spine, and brain scan every 18-24 months. We pick up radiation daily. I been on a lot of flights so must have oicked up radiation from this. plus dental xrays

Well I went to the docs this morning for a medication review and mentioned to him my worries about the X Rays. Gave him this list:

Throat/neck x ray as a child
    Kidneys/bladder x rays as a teenager and in my 30s
    Barium meal - in my 30s
    Mammograms in 2005, 2010, 2015 and 2017
    Chest x ray - 2014?
    Dental x rays at regular check ups

Now I'm 55 I have the 3 yearly mammograms going forward.

He said that it wasn't a lot and probably equivalent to 2 flights to Australia. The only one he said might be a slightly higher risk would be the one I had as a child on my throat/neck. This panicked me a bit and I asked if it was a problem and he said no and that the body has an amazing way of 'healing/dealing' with exposure. He also said he was an honest doctor and if he thought I had had a lot he would tell me.

Of course being me I was initially reassured and am not so worried about them now, apart from the one I had as a child because he singled it out! Has anyone else had similar x rays as a child - it was about 45 years ago so goodness knows how high the doses were back then, I know technology has moved on and the later tests use much lower doses of radiation. Just wish he hadn't picked on that one!! I can't get that out of my head now!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
    Thanks, yes your original reply was very reassuring and I will certainly try to move on - I just get stuck with these thoughts and do indeed 'ruminate'. It's so crazy that I have never analysed or worried about these X rays before (last week it wasn't in my head! - it's only this week) and mainly because I suddenly thought about the number of screening mammograms I will have every three years going forward until I'm 70 and I spotted something about the risks...
    Please try to move on, Jane?

Will try to, thanks Pulisa, am certainly using my CBT techniques to help me reduce the anxiety.

Hello Jane
    I too am very anxious re xrays ( am 56) had throat head/throat xrays as a child
    many dental xrays
    2 kidney xrays in my thirties
    and have gone into meltdown with my anxiety because I had an abdominal xray 2 weeks ago
    I am really struggling not to worry - but anx is through the roof

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information