Thread: Fear of dying under an anaesthetic

Fear of dying under an anaesthetic

I am due to have a minor op at the beginning of September. I have already put it off because of my depression. I have a fear of dying under anaesthetic although because of the meds I take and my asthma I will be having a spinal plus some general/sedation. I have a fear of being unable to breathe and choking on my own saliva. I know where these fears are coming from as my Mother died at a relatively young age of motor neurone disease. She couldn't catch her breath and died of a heart attack and choking on her own saliva. I fear dying at a young age too and as nobody really knows what causes MND or whether there is a familiar link no one can reasure me that this wont happen . I had a major op in 2007 and coped very well with the spinal although I was very very sick afterwards. The fear of dying is not dying in a peaceful happy way more of a feeling of being unable to breathe or choking on my saliva. Thanks for listening.

Re: Fear of dying under an anaesthetic

Hi there.

I also had the same fear as you, I have chronic asthma and have to take a lot of medication.
    I had a general anaesthetic a few years ago due to an emergency situation with my asthma and had bad memories of it so was very scared when I had to have my gall bladder removed a few months ago.
    I decided to have the surgery as I was in so much pain from the gallstones but really got myself worked up pre-op, I was ready to take off out the doors wearing just a hospital gown!
    The anaesthetist came to see me and he was brilliant. He could see the problems that had happened in the past, agreed that it was understandable that I was so nervous and went through the whole procedure with me.
    He promised he would be there the whole time from the minute I arrived down in the pre-op room and that he would talk to me when I was having the anaesthetic..and he did. He was even there when I came around to ask how I felt!
    Please don't be scared, you have had the anaesthetic before so you know that your body can cope with it but make sure you tell your anaesthetist how frightened you are so he/she can reassure you.
    Can you believe I came around with a smile on my face? Honestly.

Hi Elizabethjane, I have only had 4 ops in 50 years, the first I was a child so had no fears, then the second I wasnt a sufferer so had no worries either, but the last 2 I was really scared, I was sure my days were up.I explained this to the anaethatist before I even went in and once i got there he was superb.
    Im so sorry to hear about your mother,Im not surprised you feel as you do,
    It sounds as though you still have unanswered questions, maybe once your op is over you could get more help to answer these questions?
    i know it is completely different but when i gave birth to my first child he had brain damage, i was convinced my second would have it too, but due to my first I got extra special watching etc, as Im sure you will too due to your mum I had not got all the answers to the questions, but have now,we need answers, take care, pm if i can help. xxxx
    Last edited by alexis; 03-08-08 at 18:55. Reason: stuck for words

Please bear with me, Ill be back for good soon.

Trust me,anaesthetic is FINE.
    I was really worried an locked myself in the hospital toilets for 1 and a half hours!!!
    When I finally got there it was ok.It actually feels kinda good,like when you finally get sleep when ur tired.
    Waking up is only weird for the first 5 secs or so when they take the thing out of your throat,Then you feel OK

Hope it goes well

cheesewire@live.co.uk

Thread Information