Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endoscopy Whimp Question

Endoscopy Whimp Question

Hi my doc is sending me for a upper GI due to GERD and unexplained chest pains and I am a big whimp.

My question is if i spoke to my doctor about being scared to do it could i ask them instead to do the barium meal test as i dont think i could do the endoscopy after reading the info sheet they sent out as the words that stand out to me are risk of death 1 in 25000, heart attack , stroke , making a hole in stomach and stuff like that.

As if i was to do it i would have to have the throat spray as have a fear of being put to sleep.

I dont want to really mess around with my doctor as they have been patient with me and dont wish to seem ungrateful but i am dreading it.

xtremx

Re: Endoscopy Whimp Question

Your not a whimp mate . I don,t want it done either and have avoided it for 12 months but i know when i go back the docs they will be suggesting to go for it again .
    Theres many on here who have had it done and i know of people who go regular to have it done , they all say the same , its nothing to worry about . I believe you get sedated and can ask for "max sedation" .
    The warnings of death etc in 1 in 25000 , i think theres such warnings on meds and most procedures , its simple from all accounts and you are in and out in no time .
    By all means discuss with your Doctor , thats what they are there for .
    I,m going to bite the bullet myself and get it done if my regular DR thinks i should this time . Its the waiting for the appointment for months that stress,s me out .

Quote Originally Posted by mel2 View Post
    Your not a whimp mate . I don,t want it done either and have avoided it for 12 months but i know when i go back the docs they will be suggesting to go for it again .
    Theres many on here who have had it done and i know of people who go regular to have it done , they all say the same , its nothing to worry about . I believe you get sedated and can ask for "max sedation" .
    The warnings of death etc in 1 in 25000 , i think theres such warnings on meds and most procedures , its simple from all accounts and you are in and out in no time .
    By all means discuss with your Doctor , thats what they are there for .
    I,m going to bite the bullet myself and get it done if my regular DR thinks i should this time . Its the waiting for the appointment for months that stress,s me out .
    I am tryin to build myself up for it but my bottle is going. I keep telling myself I am a 40year old man not a wimp (I feel like i would stuggle to get out of a paper bag).

I totally understand your fear.

Who wouldn't be apprehensive about having a tube stuck down their throat??

I might be heading for one myself and I was thinking of asking for a general anaesthetic. I'm not even sure if they can do that?

Otherwise, I would need heavy, heavy sedation and I don't sedate easily!

On a more positive note, it is a very, very common procedure that is carried out a lot with no problems at all.

Good Luck.

I had it done around 5 months ago because I was suffering with acid reflux or GERD its honestly not that bad. I was nervous too, I'm not going to say it was a pleasant experience. But nothing will happen to you. If you had heart problems then yes you may have a heart attack but they check and monitor your heart before hand so there not going to do it if there is a chance you may have one. Also the tube has a camera attached to it! If they accidently made your stomache bleed they notice it straight away! I was worried too it does not hurt one bit! It just feels awkward the first time I had it down my throat I grabbed the tube because it felt abnormal and I panicked. I composed myself and the doctor did it again and the procedure lasts 3 minutes if that! I had a spray plus the anastetic or however you spell it. The spray tasted of banana which was quite nice . Honest its worth having it done because if you have ulcers then they can then deal with them. I personally just had more acid then most people. Just calm yourself down and go for it. Its not that bad and it is a very safe procedure . Good luck!!!!

Harry.

I had a really nice young nurse holding my hand and stroking my hair to keep me calm was almost worth having it done just for that lol

Sod it, Bring it on. Time to do it, Have to do it.

Just wish i had hair like mikewales (they could always polish my bold patch).

Thanks all

I had it done and i didnt have a sedative I bawked a bit but it was fine dont worry the doctor and nurses are great with you and put you at ease. It doesnt take long.

Cathy xx

Quote Originally Posted by cathycrumble View Post
    I had it done and i didnt have a sedative I bawked a bit but it was fine dont worry the doctor and nurses are great with you and put you at ease. It doesnt take long.

Cathy xx
    Yeah just going to have to face it once it is done hopefully that is it over.
    I will be having the spray as cannot stand being out of it.

I,m sure it will be fine mate , i reckon i will have to go this time , the doc wanted to send me just before xmas but wasn,t my usuaul dr and n, if the nice lady doc thinks i should when i see her next week so be it .

You first though !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information