Thread: Diary of CBT, might be useful to people.

Diary of CBT, might be useful to people.

Hi all,

I thought I would share my CBT sessions with you all, hoping that the skills I learn can help all my new friends on this forum and show the people who are on the waiting list, what CBT covers. If people think this thread is useless then please PPM me and I will stop. Each time I go to the sessions, I will tag to the end of this thread rather than start a new one each time.

I went for my CBT session today, which was mainly building up my character profile, so the psychologist can get a better idea who I am, what my problems are and what methods will be best to help me. We will be starting to break the circle of fear in two weeks time, as the psychologist is on a training course next week.

Obviously, we are focusing on my problems with health anxiety and using my latest fear and symptoms of feeling nausea and burping as a great example to start with as it is totally freaking me out.

Today started off by answering a questionnaire, which had 100 questions listed., which ranged from questions like “are you worried about headaches, lump in throat, stomach upset” and questions like “do you feel alone, loss of interest in life and self harm” etc.

The psychologist asked me three questions today, which had me baffled for some time: -

Q1) Why are you scared of cancer?
    Q2) If your best friend came to you and said he is feeling sick and keeps burping, what would I say to your best friend, would you say “you have cancer “or would you say “your be ok”.
    Q3) With your current symptoms, how much out of 100 would you say that you think it could be anxiety and how much would you think is stomach cancer?

I answered: -
    Q1) I believe that cancer is a killer and there is no guarantee your fight it.
    Q2) I would say go to the doctor and see what he says, then if everything is ok, then carry on as normal.
    I then said most people would be able to ignore it, which I can’t in-case it’s not anxiety and that it is early stages of cancer, which I would like to get treated asap.
    Q3) I said that 20% anxiety and 80% stomach cancer.

He then asked me, when was my worst period of anxiety, to which I explained that it is this week. He then understood that I have recently hit rock bottom with this nausea and burping symptoms, which is not helping my anxiety.

He then asked me, what methods do I use for reassurance, to which I said my wife and father, my doctor and you fantastic people on this forum.

He ended the session there (an hour went so quick), but like I said earlier, next time I see the psychologist, we will be working on methods to coping with anxiety and breaking this vicious circle of fear, which hopefully I can share with you fantastic people.

Red
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 27-03-07 at 20:58.

Re: Diary of CBT, might be useful to people.

Hi Red,

It sounds like things will start to get better for you with the help from the psychologist. I think it's a good idea for you to post about your sessions on here for others to see, and it may help them too. That's really nice of you.

That all sounds very positive. Well done, and good luck with it

great idea it will im sure help us all
    thanks carol

It's great you feel able to share this. Look forward to the next instalment!

Very good idea. Will be very interesting and useful.

yes i think its a good idea

love sandy xx

Thread Information