Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heart Flutters

heart Flutters

Sorry I did put this in the other section but realize its not often read:

Well at last went to see a cardiologist. He has ordered an echo and blood tests but, looking at my 24 hour monitor, he was thinking it is (the palps) due to stress and anxiety. What the monitor did not capture is those fluttery ones where the heart goes so rapidly and then it stops and restarts...God I hate that, especially as i get so dizzy. The cardio said that these were bouts of AF...I had no idea it was.

He was a lovely man an explained that if I learn some breathing technique and learn to relax, the ectopics will calm down. Just to check the AF he has ordered an echo. Now because he called it that, I am now anxious to think I have had bouts of that. Does anyone else get those long flutters? Can they kill me and could they go on and on etc?

The thing I just cannot remember is this. I had given up smoking for a few years and re-started last year. Anyway, I tried to give up using nicotene patches.

I had a few fluttery heart thingy's years ago and am not now sure if I was wearing patches then. Anyway, I used 25mg patches this time, really high dose...but in the end, with a bad cough, I gave up cold turkey and stopped the patches. Just cannot remember if I had them on with the heart flutters or not

I wish could remember if i had patches on when I had the bad AF. On saying that, I think I had a small flutter last week though, and I have not smoked since 13th December

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Re: heart Flutters

Typer I can totally relate. I have had skipped beats for about 9 yrs now and countless tests, but it is the runs, or flutters, that scare me. Most of the time they give me a headrush and feeling I'm going to pass out, but they only last for 4-5 seconds tops.

They actually caught a run on my first treadmill test. The cardiologist said it was a run of 4 pvcs but they are harmless because there is a normal beat in between each PVC, even though it feels completely irregular.

The thing that concerns me most is the headrush and I did not get that with that run, but for most runs I do get the headrush. They have never picked up a headrush 'event' on any test yet and this is what concerns me. Everything else including 2 echos 2 24 hr tapes and numerous ecgs is completely normal according to 2 cardiologists.

So I think I'm just going to have to accept them.

Thanks Skippy

Yes, at least 4 times I have had the head rush and a feeling I would faint or even die. Sometimes I get the flutter and just a small head rush which last for a few seconds, other times the flutter lasts extra long and the pause is long and I feel so faint.

I saw a post down in ectopics where someone said they had AF constantly and had to go to hospital...so when the doc said those two little words Artrial Fibulation (sp)...I remembered that post and had a major panic attack.

For most of us, I am guessing they are short bouts.

I have never had a stress test. What exactly is that please?

And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

A stress test is an exercise test, it's basically an ECG on a treadmill. You run for about 15 mins but most of that is a walk, it gets faster as it goes on.

I've had 2, the first one scared me because I had that flutter, and the trainee doctor (I spoke to the cardiologist the next day) said 'there is an abnormality there...don't jog home'. I seriously hope that guy has now been struck off because he significantly contributed to my HA

Really, he said that! I am assuming that the cardiologist assured you it was all okay?

The bumpy ones I am managing okay. I don't like them, but am not so scared by them any more. It is the fluttery ones that I find so frightening - even if they wont kill, they certainly scare and if I am out and get one, I am even more afraid

PS thanks for explaining the stress test. Wonder if i will get one of those. I know the cardio is booking an Echo...I dont even know what that is LOL
    Last edited by Typer; 22-04-10 at 15:58. Reason: added something

And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Typer View Post
    Really, he said that! I am assuming that the cardiologist assured you it was all okay?

The bumpy ones I am managing okay. I don't like them, but am not so scared by them any more. It is the fluttery ones that I find so frightening - even if they wont kill, they certainly scare and if I am out and get one, I am even more afraid

PS thanks for explaining the stress test. Wonder if i will get one of those. I know the cardio is booking an Echo...I dont even know what that is LOL
    Yes, he said that. I was in pieces as you can imagine.

I rang the cardiologist the next day because I was going on holiday and wanted to know whether it was safe for me to exercise, he was really apologetic and said that he had 'had a word' (ie bollocked) the trainee for saying that. He explained that I had experienced 4 pvcs in a row but with normal beats in between that it was completely benign and totally safe to exercise.

The second stress test i had was only last month and it went well, much better than the first one. This time the nurse was very reassuring and said it was nice to actually see a fit and healthy person for once (most of the people doing stress tests are older with heart trouble). I'm 28. The results of this test were normal apart from a few pvcs. The nurse said that half the population gets them to varying degrees and anything under 500 a day is considered normal. Even if there is more than this, they are still benign.

I have to say that my palpitations are the cause and the reason my Health Anxiety persists. It feeds off them. When I have a day with only a few palps I usually feel great mentally and I won't come running to this forum for reassurance. When I have a bad day of them, like today, I come running to this forum for the slightest thing like a numb finger.

If I can cure my palpitations I will have cured my health anxiety. But I reckon the cure is to accept them, accept that they are truly harmless. Easy to say, but when you're in the middle of a flutter you simply can't accept them as harmless no matter how hard you try.

Well Skippy, you have certainly helped me today, thank you.

The post I read on here about AF, and then the doc calling the long flutters AF sent me into such a panic, I can hardly move today I am so, so scared.

Yes, he said that. I was in pieces as you can imagine.

I rang the cardiologist the next day because I was going on holiday and wanted to know whether it was safe for me to exercise, he was really apologetic and said that he had 'had a word' (ie bollocked) the trainee for saying that.
    yes I can imagine - I am glad the cardio told the student off. Some people have no sensitivity at all and should not say anything if they dont know what they are talking about.

I have to say that my palpitations are the cause and the reason my Health Anxiety persists. It feeds off them. When I have a day with only a few palps I usually feel great mentally and I won't come running to this forum for reassurance. When I have a bad day of them, like today, I come running to this forum for the slightest thing like a numb finger.
    Me too - no palps, feel great...palps...feel like dying to get away from the anx.

I wonder why some are fluttery and some thuds? I can cope a bit better with the thud ones now...would rather have none, but, they do seem less lately. Some bad days, but not everyday.

28 is so young to have to put up with this. My son is only 2 years older than you and Id hate for him to have to go through this. He does get depressed mind you, but no physical symptoms

And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Hopefully my quick story can calm some nerves. I've been on Zoloft for about 6 years (since I was 17). About a year ago, I thought I didn't need the meds anymore and started a slow ween-off process. Over the course of 8 months I was taking less and less. I was completely off for about 2 months with no problems and then one day out of nowhere my panic attacks came back horribly and at the most severe I can ever remember. Overnight I went from being just slightly anxious to completely agoraphobic, unable to sleep, eat, or even leave my room.

Anywaaay, when this happened, the amount of heart flutters, oddly skipped beats accompanied by pain and dizziness, shot through the roof. I was getting at least 10 of these a day, accompanied by severe rushes of fear and terror. I'm 24 years old and have an appropriate weight. I had 2 EKG's done and my doctor told me both times I was completely fine, it was all being caused by anxiety. I understand how hard it is to be convinced that nothing is wrong with your heart and it's all anxiety induced, but it's true. Anxiety has an amazing (not harmful) effect on the body and mind.

Talk to your doctor if Beta-Blockers could be beneficial for you. They've definitely helped my heart flutters and fast heart rate, however now I'm dizzy all the time. Not the best of trade offs.

Hi Typer

Did he actually say that it was AF or that it could be ? given that these flutters were not evident on the monitor, how did he come to this conclusion ? I don't think these fluttering sensations are necessarilly AF. I experience them myself and have been led to understand that they were several PVC's sort of superimposed on each other, which is more or less what skippy describes.

I don't doubt for one moment that your Cardiologist is competent and a nice man but perhaps he could have chosen his words a bit more carefully when dealing with someone who has health anxiety as the situation has obviously upset you.

I am sure that if he had any greater concerns about your condition then he would have put you immediately for further tests. Perhaps the echo test will put your mind at ease once and for all, even though I know it is more waiting around which is never easy. I had one done a few years back and it is really straightforward and nothing to worry about.

Best Wishes.

Hi Edwardthebear

Glad to see you as last time you posted, you too were a little worried. So glad you are okay etc.

Thanks for your reply. That is what I thought because RLR had previous;y said that this sort of thing could not change to AF. The person I saw was actually the registrar for the cardiologist, not the actual cardio man

What scared me was not his words, but remembering the post from someone on here and that was it, I put them together and ended up shaking and unable to move.

I am sure the person ho posted, and another person on RLR's site need to post their own posts, but you know...this place is so great but occasionally if you have HA, things stick and scare for no good reason.

Thanks for the support...much appreciated ...hugs to all

And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information