I’ve been suffering from my current bout of health anxiety for about three months now, and it’s been quite a bad one (concern about neurological disorders). I’ve had too many strange things going on to list, but one in particular is causing me a lot of concern at the moment and I’m wondering if anyone else had experienced this as a symptom of anxiety.

I have become a bit obsessed with my jaw and I don’t seem to be able to relax it, basically it feels really loose (although my dentist said it was a bit stiff when I went for a regular check up). I know for the last month or so at least I’ve been holding it in a strange position a lot as if I’m clenching the teeth on the right side of my mouth and/or holding my lower jaw to the right, but now when I try to relax it, it doesn’t seem to rest like it normally would; no position feels comfortable or relaxed. As a result I am moving it round a lot, although obviously this is more when I am thinking about it.

Also (yes there is more) my teeth chatter together a lot when I hold them lightly together (not clenched) – is this normal? It could be something that happens to everyone but I’ve never noticed before, and now in my heightened state of anxiety I am really worried about it?

I have actually seen a neurologist about my wider symptoms (as I had convinced myself I had a terminal disorder) and he said I am ok, which is fantastic; but like all hypochondriacs I can’t help still being scared about it in my frequent less lucid moments.

Thanks