Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast Pain - the fear is obvious

Breast Pain - the fear is obvious

Hi all,

For the last few weeks or so I've had sporadic pain in one breast. Kinda like a stabby pain and sometimes a dull ache. Like many others here, you can guess what my fear is... starts with C just in case you hadn't already guessed!

I had a massive panic attack about it and the ambulance were called. I then went to the medical centre and a doc did an examination on my breasts. She couldn't feel a lump or see anything that would make her worry. But, then she said I should get a scan anyway.

Now I'm doing the whole "well if she thinks I'm ok why is she saying I should get a scan?" She said it could be a cyst or something that she couldn't feel. What if it's a lump that she couldn't feel in physical examination? Freaking out!

Now I think my armpit and around my back is sore, but I can't tell what's an actual physical pain anymore or what I am making up in my head. I twisted my neck in shower yesterday so now that pain is adding to it and argh, mind explosion!

I have to wait until the 13th for a scan and everyday I convince myself that this is the end. I'm not dealing with it at all.

Any support would be much appreciated.

Re: Breast Pain - the fear is obvious

If she didn't order a scan, you'd be worried as to why not. (What if she missed something? etc.) She's just doing what any good doctor would do

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

@fishmanpa True, just my mind won't stop spinning. Now I keep feeling other things and who knows what is real and what's just in my head. :S

Quote Originally Posted by puzzledlass View Post
    @fishmanpa True, just my mind won't stop spinning. Now I keep feeling other things and who knows what is real and what's just in my head. :S
    I don't suffer with anxiety, just a bit of "scanxiety"' come follow-up time (cancer survivor). I came here to learn about the malady and stayed to help if I could. All you need to do is take some time reading and you'll see the variety of ailments that accompany anxiety. Read the "Symptoms" link and it gives you a plethora of examples and reasons. In reality, it's amazing what the mind can do to us physically.

In the time I've been here, I can't think of one instance where someone's worse fears turned into reality. Sure, there are examples but I'd put them at less than 1%. Seek help with your anxiety. It's the best way to treat the other funky things that go along with it

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Fishmanpa, I'm pleased you stuck around! I've only been here a few days and I know for sure one thing I do have - health anxiety! Trying not to freak out. Checked out my boobs and they don't look different - got partner to do the same. However neck, shoulder and underarm are sore, now panicking I have cancer and it's spread! argh.

Hey puzzledlass

Your GP will be referring you for a scan for peace of mind. If she honestly thought she'd found something she would've told you. I get pain in my breasts too - and in my armpits sometimes (like they're sore) and the consultant I saw said it's completely normal. I think that persistent pain in the same area can be a cause for concern but it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

if by any chance you consume caffeine, try cutting back, or cut it out for a trial... you may find it improves your breast pain.

Ok, so I've been doing reasonably ok the last couple of days... trying not to think about it etc. Today the panic is back, I'm convinced there's a lump underneath that the first Doc wouldn't pick up and all the thoughts of dying are coming back.:(

Hi, i had breast issues last year, constant pain in left breast,armpit and back and thought the same as you. I went on ridiculous about it dr reffered me for a scan after I had pain for 6 weeks, results were fine, not even a cyst.. Pain went away after that in total I think I had the pain about 9 weeks. Hope this helps.

All experiences and advice helps! I've been going crazy about it also... I noticed the pain dec last year and went to see doc but she "ran out of time" and didn't refer me. I was due for appointment on 13th Jan but today I just broke - I cannot wait a day longer especially since I've been angsting over it the entire/NY period. I have an appt at 10am tomorrow and my BF is coming with me - with my Aspergers I can close off and not talk very well (especially when I really need too!), so I will write down stuff for him so he can talk if I can't.

Freaking out heaps cause now the pain is in my upper arm. The thoughts of "oh my gosh what if it's spread etc etc are there".

I've already been looking at images of ultrasounds to see what cysts and tumours look like. I know it's stupid but I can't seem to stop. I want to know if something pops up on screen that I know what it is! Sigh.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Egad I am panicking so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information