Thread: Home Alone

Home Alone

I am married with a young daughter and live in a nice estate. However, I am PETRIFIED of being left on my own overnight. I have OCD anyway and get a lot of intrusive thoughts and images but when my Husband has to work away from home about one weekend per month I get so traumatised. I imagine an intruder is going to break in and attack me and my daughter. I sleep on the sofa in the lounge so that I can see both the back and front doors and spend my nights drifting in and out of a troubled sleep, checking the doors, checking my daughter, checking the cat (!) and feeling totally freaked out and panicky. As I write this, my Husband is away and I feel so full of fear. Has anyone got experience of this type of fear or being scared of the dark?

Hi kirsten,I hate being alone,and Im terrified of the dark.I have two dogs,and I would never be without one.They make me feel safer,but then not everyone can have a dog.Im sure you will get some helpfull advise on this forum,sorry I cant offer any help.I havent actually had to stay on my own a night yet.I always have a light on as well.
    take care

Ellen XX

Hi Kirsten

I am in my forties, married with two teenaged kids and have never spent a night in my house alone. I take myself and kids off to a friends or family member's house for the night or ask a friend to stay. I have all sorts of thoughts about intruders (so husband fits burglar alarm system) then I worry about things that go bump in the night (can't lock them out). I always thought I would be cured of this as I got older (and more grown up???) but, as I said, I'm in my forties and am still as bad.

When I think of all the wasted energy worrying about something that has never happened ....... It's a horrible thing to have to live with but by planning ahead I have always avoided being alone throughout the night. Not the answer you probably want but at least you know there's another that feels the same as you.

Kay x

hi kirsten,
    you're definetly not alone in feeling this. i too hate being on my own. i get in to a right state. i cant stand the night times. and its even worse if you have to cope with it on your own. i havnt even got friends here where i live that i can go and stay with. so if you have that atleast it something. im sure it will get easier somehow. just try to keep yourself occupied doing something to keep your mind of it. i usually come on here to have a chat, and it makes me feel so much better. the support on here is great.
    take care,
    love twiglet xx

Hi kirsten,

I too know exactly how you feel.
    Last year we had a holiday booked in october and on the day of departure i had a major panic attack and couldnt go. I insisted my hubby and daughter went. I stayed a couple of nights with my son and the rest i spent at home. I too couldnt go to bed, i slept restlessly on the settee.
    I only wish id had the computer then and this site cus im sure it would have helped me.

Take care
    LYNN XX

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied. It is comforting to know that I am not alone in this subject. I think the computer is going to be my saving grace. Last night in the small hours when I was very scared, I went on the computer and my mind was quite occupied and the time went by quickly. Anyway thanks again for helping me.
    Kirsten xxx

Thread Information