Thread: Intrusive thought that you think will come true?

Intrusive thought that you think will come true?

Hi

We all worry about the ones we love but there is a difference between worrying and getting intrusive thoughts - I know about intrusive thoughts - and can relate to alot of people on this site, but if I have an worrying or distressing thought about something happening to the people I love the most - I become petrified that they'll come true because the thought has come from no-where.
    Then because I will then worry about it I worry even more that something will happen.

CAn anyone relate to this as I feel really alone.
    Last edited by pinkdante; 16-06-09 at 19:01.

Re: Intrusive thought that you think will come true?

I know what you mean, everybody does worry about people they love but if you have anxiety or ocd it seems worse and you can't get it out of your head. Don't worry though, intrusive thoughts do come from nowhere, that is the nature of them, they don't mean anything and just thinking something does not mean it will happen.

xx

I can definitely related. You're not alone. For myself, I'd say it was the hardest one of all my symptoms, because it feels so desperately lonely.

They happen to me almost daily!!! I have learned to deal with them....like wanting a cig. when your trying to quit smoking...and move on. Over time I learned that nothing happens when I think these things. I used to jump on the phone right away to make sure everyone was ok, but now, I just find something to occupy my mind right away and it will pass. Good luck!

Thank you guys - so nice to know I am not alone!

Lots of people, not just on here, but everywhere can relate to this-the difference is they temper it with rationality and don't dwell on it or think bout it infrequently and let it go. You think because the thought has struck out of the blue that it must be some sort of premonition and that danger is imminent and this perpetuates it.

It does nothing but generate worry, there is a v.small likelihood of what crossed your mind actually happening, the odds are always against those extreme thoughts, they are rare, they are the exception never the rule.

The only reason your mind gives you those thoughts so rapidly and so unexpectedly is because if it gave you them any other way then it wouldn't be as profound, it wouldn't affect you the same. A slow, self-confessed, self-created imaginined thought doesn't have the same power as a quick-fire one from nowhere. When another thought pops up instead of being governed by it think 'Alright, I see this for what it really is-a false message, I'm going to switch my mental focus to how I feel and appreciate the moment with the ones I love'.

You'll be so much more able to beat real problems if you don't allow those thoughts any room, you're mind must be taught to work with you not against you for the ones you care about.

S

Just yesterday I had the most bizarre instrusive thought. My wife, was driving me to the station and giving me her two cents in a discussion on regularity at the gym etc.

I got a bit irritated at this and instead of acknowledging that - my mind suddenly blurts out "I hope you die in an accident' - usually when I get a stupid thought quickly add a 'tag thought' to it such as :'in no way whatsoever'...thereby, in my mind negating it.

Now - the fact is - I'm in love with this girl (my wife) like you wouldn't believe. She is the most precious creature I have ever come across - and now I have the good fortune of calling her my life partner - and she is the best!

Does it not seem completely contradictory then that instead of just saying - 'boy that irritates me' - my mind takes an extreme route and a hateful thought gets blurted out. I think this is work stress disguised - or some other stress or issue that gets the better of my anxiety. I have had enough of these thoughts that I know to ignore them - but when it seems so specific and sudden (unexpected) - it really hurts!

Thread Information