Thread: Im So Scared After Aving Severe Smear Result

Im So Scared After Aving Severe Smear Result

hi,im so scared after just recieving my smear test results in the post today and it says i have severe results & a strange word like dyskrosis & that ive got to go for summit called a colopsy whicg ive never ad before ,ive always had normal smears until now,alls i can think about is that if its cancer & the thought of that is friving me insane now with worry & my oppointment for this colopsy isnt till 15th oct so ive got a few more wks yet with worry,i just wanted to know if any1 else has ad these results bk & how they coped .

Re: Im So Scared After Aving Severe Smear Result

I am a man so I can't help with the test thing but it is not fair to keep you hanging on for two weeks until the test so give them a ring and ask for an explanation.
    All the best.

im pretty sure its not cancer dont worry about that - something like that happend to my mum- think its called abnormal cells. they just cut them away and your fine again.

all the best

I had this with a smear and had a colposcopy and it was fine.

It doesn't necessarily mean cancer - just some abnormal cells like I had.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I had this with a smear and had a colposcopy and it was fine.

It doesn't necessarily mean cancer - just some abnormal cells like I had.
    Same here. I got mine in the post & I'm still annoyed about that 17 yrs later. It was my first pap test too & I was only 21. And they dont explain to you that its changes on the cervix that could take up to 20 yrs to turn nasty, if at all! I was straight up the docs asking, but they still didn't explain it to me. It wasn't until I went to the hospital for the colonoscopy, or is it a colposcopy? Cant remember, I'm not googling to find out! lol & I had a biopsy at the same time, thats when I was given all the facts. I dont think thats the way they should let people know, ive had normal results since I had the loop diathermy treatment in London, so I assumed they didn't let women know in that callous way anymore. Obviously they do!

edit: der, just noticed you said it, colposcopy!

Hi, I have had the same experience. I had a colposcopy and and biopsy about three years ago. I would advise you to let them know about your health anxiety before they start the procedure because I had a VERY insensitive doctor who verbalized everything she saw during the procedure, basically saying she thought I had cancer right then and there. I think this is because she saw cervical warts. Turns out the biopsy was negative for everything. Abnormal cervical cells seem to be something every woman goes through at some point. It can give you warts on your cervix which are harmless, and so remember that if they are mentioned during the exam: the HPV strain that causes warts is NOT the same as the one that causes cancer.
    The procedure is pretty simple, they paint your cervix with vinegar I think to let them see any abnormal spots, then they snip a tiny piece from each abnormal spot and send it for biopsy. Usually the biopsy is negative, or will show mild abnormalities (REMEMBER: NOT CANCER!!!!) because it takes YEARS for any kind of cervical cancer to grow. There will be a tiny bit of bleeding and you should take it easy for the rest of that day and the next. Make sure you get follow up appointments every 6 months for the next year or two just to monitor yourself. I have had three clear paps since this happened and it just went away on it's own.
    Another encouraging story for you: my mother contracted HPV back in the 60s when they didn't even know anything about it. She had it for 25 years before she was finally diagnosed with cervical cancer. Thats how long it took for a very tiny spot of cancer to grow on her cervix. They simply cut out the cancerous part of her cervix, and she went on to have my little brother a year later. It is now 23 years since that happened and not a single abnormal pap for her in all that time. That is the usual reality of anyone with HPV and abnormal paps. I know Jade Goody has scared the hell out of everyone but please bear in mind she completely ignored her own health and did not deal with what she knew was happening to her cervix for years. She basically killed herself (no disrespect to her intended). She is the absolute least typical example of a cervical cancer or cervical abnormality story.
    I am not any kind of medical expert, but did so much research when this happened to me,and went and discussed my moms experience with her, I feel comfortable sharing all this info with you. The most important thing is to be proactive in your health, get the colposcopy done, and keep following up. This is one thing us HA people shouldn't be scared of, because it is one of those things that we can screen for, treat, and prevent so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz_2000 View Post
    hi,im so scared after just recieving my smear test results in the post today and it says i have severe results & a strange word like dyskrosis & that ive got to go for summit called a colopsy whicg ive never ad before ,ive always had normal smears until now,alls i can think about is that if its cancer & the thought of that is friving me insane now with worry & my oppointment for this colopsy isnt till 15th oct so ive got a few more wks yet with worry,i just wanted to know if any1 else has ad these results bk & how they coped .
    hi i too had the same an had a colposcopy this is over 10 years ago now it is abnormal cells i too was very scared i remember just wanting to get in the bath all the time an wanting to clean myself inside an out i have been on yearly smears since i would try not to worry too much if it was really bad youwould not be waiting that long to go for your colposcopy the procedure is a little uncomfortable but doesnt take too long then you will go back for another smear just to make sure everything is ok i was fine only had one abnormal smear since but it was nothing to worry about it cleared itself up its really hard not to worry but please you wikkl be fine take care

Thread Information