Thread: Mindfulness courses

Mindfulness courses

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone in the past has paid to do a mindfulness course - it's certainly something I am interesting in learning more about as I get terrible anticipatory anxiety.

I've googled a couple of courses in my area and they cost about £200 for eight two-hourly weekly sessions. I am just wondering if anyone has done a similar course and whether they found it good value for money?

Thanks,
    Peter x

Re: Mindfulness courses

Thanks for replying,

Yeah it would be group sessions - part of the attraction for me in a way as, although I work full time, doing something productive on an evening and meeting new people would be part of the deal.

Also, I'd like to point out that I am in the fortunate position that I would be able to afford the sessions, otherwise I just wouldn't be considering them at all. So I am willing to pay for them, just wondered if it was the going rate...

Hi Everyone

Can I just add that I have included an introductory booklet with CBT4PANIC (which you can download free following the link below) - it is an easy fun read full of cartoons

A colleague also runs an 8 week mindfulness course here in Belfast, Northern Ireland if anyone is interested. Go to www.mindfulnessni.org if you would like to find out more.

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Hey NE21.

am guessing your name refers to your postcode? if so am very close to you!!

If it does and you live in the NE there are quite a few local meditation centres in Newcastle area, although not strictly mindfulness they offer free beginners nights/drop-in etc., stick 'meditation newcastle' in the popular search engine and find the links, or send me a message and i will let you know where/when etc.

thetube82

In some cases you may qualify for free mindfulness courses on the NHS, so I'd check that before spending any money.

I'm currently using a book called
    Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world and it has a similar 8-week MBCT course, with an audio CD containing meditation tracks. I'm currently on week 4 and I've found it very good so far. It's a lot cheaper than paying for a course with a tutor, but you do have to be self-motivated.

I might try just buying Eckart Tolle's book The Power of Now. It has helped me tremendously over the past few months (to cope with depression anxiety) and will cost you a lot less. He doesn't use the word mindfulness, but his teachings are very similar and the book is very easy to read.

Thread Information