Thread: Retching / Sick first thing

Retching / Sick first thing

Hi all,

I'm going through a real bad spell of anxiety at the moment, I'm become very sensitive to outside noise/noise of neighbours (not good as I live in an apartment). It doesn't matter what time of day it is any noise I hear will trigger a rush of adrenaline. I'm having put up with very regular waves of anxiety/panic. Currently on 15mg Mitrazapine and have just started seeing a MIND counsellor as well as on a waitlist for anxiety management.

Anyway, currently I'm waking in the morning (normally at the slightest noise) and I'm instantly overwhelmed with a feeling of absolute terror / dread / and despair. This really hits me hard, particularly in my stomach. The last two days I've had to go to the toilet and be sick - no actual vomit just lots of stomach acid. I normally feel better as the day wears on, although as always foreign or unexpected noises still instantly trigger an anxiety attack.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this particular early morning sickness? I don't know if it's worth seeing my GP, as I've been twice in the last month abut my anxiety/depression and both times it's been a case of "it's anxiety, you need to manage it by using these techniques" so I feel almost like I'm turning into a hypochondriac by keeping going back. I just feel so rotten, and I know most of it is "self inflicted" by my mind.

Feel like I'm only just holding on... If I could manage the physical symptoms I feel this might give me a fighting chance of getting my head sorted, but I'm struggling to manage them and the morning sickness isn't helping

Re: Retching / Sick first thing

I hate noise in the house and out and my son is often awake until very late and sometimes all night. When he has gone to school I try to sleep some more and get very stressed with outside noise, I have gone through phases of waking and retching due to being woken (often through the night as my son is still awake about 3-4 am) so yes I can relate to that, ((HUGS))

I wish I had a solution to offer 'whitelight' as regards the morning sickness/retching etc - I've been experiencing nausea waking me in the mornings since last August and it terrifies me because I'm Emetophobic. All I know is nausea is one of the most common physical symptoms of acute anxiety, according to Claire Weekes. If your retching produces 'acid' perhaps an anti-gastric med might help - they're called Proton Pump Inhibitors and can be ueful. I had dreadful acid reflux until a couple of months ago and I'm now on Lansoprazole - which I don't like - but it certainly cuts out the acid. Are you eating anything spicy or drinking alcohol shortly before you go to bed? That could also cause acid to build up in your stomach over night. I wish I had a simple solution, but can only offer support and say I fully understand how anxious all this is making you. Don't be afraid to go back to your GP and ask about the PPIs - they're earning a fortune and the NHS is there for all of us - we've all contributed to it.

I can also sympathise with the noise issues all too well. Noisy, thoughtless neighbours drive me almost to the point of suicide or murder (latter not literally) sometimes as I'm agoraphobic and anyway don't see why I should be forced out of my apartment just because they are selfish morons. Like you I live in a block of flats where the insulation between the flats is zero. I'm a relatively docile individual, but noise I can't escape from virtually turns me into an axe murderess, I become so angry! I think it's based on intrusion into our personal space and being 'out of our control'. If our neighbours won't listen to our polite requests for consideration I don't know what else to suggest. There is a local Neighbourhood Noise Nuisance Team, but they're useless. If anybody complained about anything I did I'd be mortified, but these individuals don't appear to give a damn. I wish you well, let us know how you get on. Best wishes, Helen
    Last edited by BNCfan; 13-01-09 at 12:43.

Can't empathise with the retching, but do get a lot of nausea and am a very light sleeper...when I had full-on anxiety I was very jumpy at the slightest thing...

Anyway, only practical advice I can give is on earplugs...please don't laugh but due to horrific neighbours I have become quite the earplug expert. The very best ones are actually some of the cheapest - Superdrug foam ones (orange box)...and to get them to work best you have to lick the end before you put them in your ears (this is apparently what motorbike people do)

Anyway, not too much help, but getting a good night of sleep makes the world of difference.

I do the retching thing too. I haven't had it for a while now. But I used to get them alot.

I try not to eat before I go to bed, I drink alot of water. It's insane how many cases of water we have here in our house. But WATER is a must.

I did this for a whole month, I stopped drinking juice, milk only with cereal, I don't drink pop because of migraines but once in a while I sneak it in, anything with caffeinee and such.

I drank water. No matter what. If I am having lunch on the run, I have water, I always make sure i have water. Dehydration can be a nasty game too.

I also drink calming nite time tea to help me relax, it really works alot. We buy it from the natural store. Not a cheap brand. But I have two cups of that and my whole body is like J-E-L-L-O. Anyways I do have my bad moments. Just thought I would share. Also I know brushing your teeth can make you feel sick too, so I try not to do it right away in the morning. I put it off after I have had time to get up and get moving. I don't know why but it works too.

Thread Information