Thread: A little uncomfortable to leave home

A little uncomfortable to leave home

Hello everybody.

For the past month or so, I've been staying more and more inside. The boiling Greek summer in Athens, friends going away on vacation and my roller-coaster of a mood are all to blame.

I think I've reached a point where I really want to go outside but I am too uncomfortable to do so. I only go out in the morning, I do some jogging, then groceries. But then I come home and just... wait. I wait for this whole summer to end, so my studies can commence on October and I will finally have something to do.

Things were easier when I still had my bike, before someone stole it. I used to go places, I had the security of knowing I could leave at any time. But now.. I 'm not really fond of the option of taking buses or the subway, let alone that there is nothing interesting to do.

Staying inside really hurts.

Re: A little uncomfortable to leave home

Perhaps you could look for a 2nd hand bike. In the early evening when it is cooler perhaps visit a local park & people watch, or even a cinema visit. Is there anywhere you could go to listen to live music?
    There are many things to do in Athens. I dont know how close you are to the centre, but I have happy memories of visiting the Acropolis & museums. Are these places still free for Greek citizens?

Hello, Lucinda! thank you very much for your reply!

As a matter of fact, I've been saving money and on 10 days I will buy a 2nd hand bike! I'm really excited because I love cycling, I go to places all over the city and, as I said before, I am reassured that, if and when I feel uncomfortable - I have my own means of transport and in 30 mins max I can be back home. Riding my bike used to make me really happy, I wish I knew who stole it and tell him how sad he made me!

Well.. there are always things to do, but it's always better if you share! for my 23 years, I've done my fair share of going out by myself (for a drink, cinema, parks, etc) and it's a bit sad to watch everybody having fun with their friends and you being all alone.

As for the museums and Acropolis, of course they are not free. In fact, if I were lucky enough to have a job at my age, the ticket for the Acropolis museum would amount for 2% of my month salary, approximately.

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

In other news, I did force myself out of the house today. I had some panicky thoughts now and then, but I did manage to stay a good three hours outside, and that's a very positive thing! I did it on my own, changed three buses and walked for quite a while. Met a couple of friends, had some greek souvlaki. Nothing special, but then again, it was so much better than staying inside and watching episodes of Maude on youtube.

Great you managed to go out to get some exercise, have a chat & a snack.
    For a time in the 1980s, Greeks could visit their national heritage free of charge. But its all a different world now. What a shame the Acropolis is so expensive.
    I have often gone out by myself - its nicer to have good company - but its ok. I usually find someone starts telling me their life story - especially on the bus!

Yes, I am really glad I did it, mainly because I proved my fears wrong!

Lots of things have changed since the 80s. You don't even get to see people telling their life stories on a bus. Everyone is too silent, sad and irritable. The economic turmoil has had its toll on people's mood and behavior.

You are doing loads to tackle this. You said you were wary of public transport and you blasted through it and went on 3!

Could you go out and just spend time out of the house e.g. take a book? I find reading a useful distraction as you have to concentrate and you can try to picture the scenes in your mind which all stops your subconscious trying to tell you that you have symptoms to think about.

I wonder if by just spending time out and relaxing more and more like this, it might make you feel more relaxed about going out and suffer less anticipatory anxiety?

Thread Information