Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluoxetine

Fluoxetine

I'm now into my 3rd month of taking fluoxetine, and although its helped the depression its not really doing anything for my health anxiety.
    I told this to my CBT counsellor and she upped my dosage to 40 mg, but i just dont feel their doing anything for the anxiety side of it.
    I'm really fed up as i really want to beat this and it makes me feel so down when things dont work, i hate thinking the worst all the time and worrying. What can I do or am I just doomed to be like this the rest of my life..............:(

shirley xx

'' I am an optimist, but I'm an optimist who carries a raincoat. '' - Harold Wilson

Well, if you read the info about it, it isn't really designed to help with anxiety - I believe Escitalopram is a better AD for anxiety and depression. I find the flouxetine has really lifted my depression and so I am able to concentrate on the other, good parts of my life and am managing to ignore the niggling little health problems that I obsessed about before. If the fluoxetine hadn't helped me, my next step was going to be escitalopram. i have also found acupuncture miraculously helpful!

i found prozac made my anxiety worse, if it doesnt work there are lots of other meds you can try!

Hi Kittykat

I was prescribed Prozac back in November. My GP didn't take the time to explain possible side-effects and and the time it can take to start working. After about 10 days I was bouncing off the walls, not getting any sleep and was in a terrible state. I came off at the advice of another GP at the practice. He tried to break the insomnia cycle which had begun by a few days supply of diazepam - didn't work. Other sleepers also failed. He gave me propanalol for the anxiety/PAs and I am awaiting CBT (blasted long waiting list!) Without a doubt meds for depression have a very valuable part to play for SOME people. Some meds suit some and not others, - there has to be some degree of trial and error. However, reading the articles on Dorothy Rowe's website about depression has been enlightening - she is quite insightful. You may find some of the things she has to say interesting and helpful.

Sandie

I have to say I agree - when I took Prozac 7 years ago it helped lift my spirits certainly but I don't think it touched the anxiety!!

I have never tried anything else other than Kava Kava (fab for my anxiety but withdrawn in this country, so I no longer take it) but maybe others can advise on other tablets that you may be able to discuss with your GP.

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

I agree, the first GP I saw put me on Prozac straight away, but it made my anxiety much worse along with other side effects and I stopped taking it after a week.

When I saw another GP she said that it would be better to try a different anti-depressant where anxiety is involved.

I've never tried Escitalopram, but I was on Citalopram for a few months but that didn't help either. My psychiatrist talked about Escitalopram but my GP thought that since Citalopram hadn't helped it was unlikey it would work much better for me. I'm currently taking Paroxetine which seems to be helping a litle but from what i've read it's better to try other anti-depressants first before Paroxetine.

I guess I was expecting miracles when I first started anti-depressants but was dissapointed when that didn't happen. I think they can help, but it's very different for each person. Most people say that in combination with therapy they help a lot. Best thing is to talk to your GP about it.

I'm still on a long waiting list for therapy too, it's taking ages for an appointment. :(

Take care,

Jim

interesting thread. I have been on seroxat for 5 years now and have been through a really bad time lately. Havent thought about changing AD but will now!
    tHANX

Hello!

I was prescribed Prozac as well and it really didnt help my anxiety either. I found Effexor to be much more helpful.

Richelle

hi
    I have been on fluoxetine 20 mg for about 3 years it has really helped me. unfortunately my panic attacks have come back due to stress etc my doctor wanted to change my medication but im too scared. So he has upped my dose to 40mg hopefully it will help the anxiety i will let you know.
    take care Ruthx

hi shirley,

well as you and me both stared prozac at the same i must agree with you, the anxiety hasnt gone but my mood has changes it has lifted the depression and it has stopped me drinking which is a good thing. the insomnia is a nightmare and although i am getting about 6 hours sleep a night i feel tired all day and they all call me 9.30 in my house as i cant stay awake past that time and come 4 am i am wide awake. but as i said my mood has lifted but i am now way cured.

speak soon

ruth x x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information