Thread: CBT

CBT

Yesterday I was signed off work for 3 weeks with depression. I have been booked in for CBT on Tuesday this will be my first session. Can I ask those who have has CBT if it helped them at all ?

Re: CBT

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I didn't notice this forum - thanks

It has helped many people as far as I know but it's not for everyone and it's less successful in complex cases.

It's something that will give you some education of anxiety disorders and help you to set targets aimed at breaking through some of your barriers. But it requires a lot of effort otherwise if falls short.

It can also be low on techniques to apply to use to reduce symptoms or to practice healthy behaviours, in my opinion, compared to other things I have tried such as Mindfulness where you are guided more closely.

Having said that, its worth accepting any help you can get because it could very well be a great help for you. For me, it helped but not as much as Mindfulness but my issues, I believe, were to complex for the short time frame. I did find myself applying it post therapy as well though which further helped.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 18-01-15 at 12:49.

CBT worked for me.

It can't be done overnight and you really have to work at it, the last two years have been my best ever.

It helped me get my life back on track & what i learned still helps me over a decade later :-)

It worked for me. I also have a new coping technique to shut down panic that among those of us who have used it say it works. It is slightly different than the CBT technique of changing thought patterns from negative to positive. and it works as fast as your favourite Benzo. (15 minutes or less). Unfortunately I need to explain why it works so it would take a whole page at least. I would like it if others can try it and give me feed back. Keep in mind this is a coping skill and not a cure in the true sense but it helps with the rest of CBT.

CBT helped me.

Davit, is there a sub forum for you to post that in? I've seen several sub forums on different techniques related to relaxation, meditation, etc. I have yet to come across tapping (my silly favorite) or any discussions such as stacking, etc.

IBS-D, Bile Salt Diarrhea, GAD, Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, COPD, Sinus tachycardia and the list goes on...

Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.

Pope John XXIII

Quote Originally Posted by Davit View Post
    It worked for me. I also have a new coping technique to shut down panic that among those of us who have used it say it works. It is slightly different than the CBT technique of changing thought patterns from negative to positive. and it works as fast as your favourite Benzo. (15 minutes or less). Unfortunately I need to explain why it works so it would take a whole page at least. I would like it if others can try it and give me feed back. Keep in mind this is a coping skill and not a cure in the true sense but it helps with the rest of CBT.
    Why not create a new thread in the Top Tips section? I'm sure people would like to know what this technique is.

Thread Information