Thread: Is psychotherapy available via the NHS? Anyone had it?

Is psychotherapy available via the NHS? Anyone had it?

I am wondering if anyone has had psychotherapy or some other form of long-term counselling (not CBT) via the NHS? - If so how did you get this?

I went to see my university counsellor who did a very in depth assessment and went through my issues. At the end of the session they said I would benefit from long-term work with a psychotherapist, but unfortunately the university service is not suitable for me as they only do short term work on more specific problems.

The thing is everything seems to go through the "IAPT" service in my area and all they offer is 6 to 12 weeks of CBT (been there done that) or short-term counselling for specific things like bereavement.

I'm trying to push them to let me do some mindfulness course which I am told is available (link at the top of the forum I think), but while that may be helpful it isn't psychotherapy is it?

I feel very angry, frustrated and sad right now as I've basically been told by a professional that they know what could help me "enormously", but as far as I can tell there appears to be no way to access it. If I won the lottery I would go private but until that time there is no way I can afford £50 to £150 per weekly session for months or years.

Looks like my only option is trying different medication again.

Re: Is psychotherapy available via the NHS? Anyone had it?

I was offered psychotherapy (or psychoanalysis, can't remember which) under the NHS in 2011, but I was too scared to go through it when the quack told me it would be difficult, more so than counselling and CBT so I never forward with it. Wish I did.

Maybe ask your counsellor to write up a letter to your doctor to say that you will benefit from psychotherapy.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie1989 View Post
    I was offered psychotherapy (or psychoanalysis, can't remember which) under the NHS in 2011, but I was too scared to go through it when the quack told me it would be difficult, more so than counselling and CBT so I never forward with it. Wish I did.

Maybe ask your counsellor to write up a letter to your doctor to say that you will benefit from psychotherapy.
    Can I ask who offered you that? The GP or though another service?

I am hoping the Uni will write a letter of support, they mentioned they may possibly be able to do so at the time , so I am waiting for them to get back to me on that one.

The GP told me getting psychotherapy in this area was 'next to impossible'. Perhaps I should push harder as 'next to' isn't actually impossible is it.

The GP surgery has a counsellor but I was told they are limited on sessions and it is 'counselling not psychotherapy', plus a very long waiting list. The Dr didn't say so, but I got the impression he did not think the counsellor would be suitable. There was some talk of group sessions possibly being available but I'm not sure about that - the Uni person I saw was quite specific that I needed 1-2-1 and in fact said she didn't think the group workshops the Uni also offer would be suitable for me.

I know psychotherapy tends to dig a lot deeper but I'm told that is what I need and I think I agree. I've had CBT a few times but nothing that actually gets to the root of the problem.

I had intense psychotherapy for PTSD. My GP referred me to the counselling service and on my first appointment, when she found out all I had been through she said that counselling/CBT alone was not enough for me so she referred me for the intense Psychotherapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    I had intense psychotherapy for PTSD. My GP referred me to the counselling service and on my first appointment, when she found out all I had been through she said that counselling/CBT alone was not enough for me so she referred me for the intense Psychotherapy.
    Again, can I ask who did the psychotherapy? was it at a hospital or something, through IAPT or?

How many sessions did you get?

thanks

Hi, the whole 12-week CBT thing is one of the frontline-services. Basically, they try you on that first because it's shown to be effective for a lot of people (particularly with anxiety) and it is then up to the counsellor to refer you on if there are things they can't help with. If you've got a rubbish counsellor that just doesn't want to admit they can't help (never come across one to be honest, they've always just been honest with me and told me they can't help and referred me) then you can explain to your GP that you do not feel much better and would like to try a different therapy.

It depends on which PCT you are in as to what happens next, as they all have different systems. But to base it on my PCT (Greater Manchester), it is usual for Mental Health Services to have a meeting to discuss your records and your health problems. It will be decided by a committee what treatment they will offer. If you are found to have complex needs, you will be referred to a psychotherapist or schema therapist. Schema is kind of a mix between psychotherapy and CBT (and I've found it the most helpful), but before I had schema I had psychotherapy.

You are allotted an initial 12-week course, but towards the end of that course your psychologist will advise on how much more treatment she/he thinks you need, and will extend that course appropriately. The course can keep being extended again and again until you're ready to leave therapy.

It may be worth phoning mental health services or maybe even PALS to find out what procedure your PCT uses, then it'll be easier to navigate. I found it really confusing at first where I was being referred to at any given time!

We have a NHS centre for Mental Health in the area I live and I was referred there. If you are referred for Intense Psychotherapy you are initially given 12 x 1 hr sessions which will continue if you are not ready to move on. Even after being discharged they still keep an 'open book' so that you can call them if you need to and ask for more help. I know this is not the case in other areas though.

Quote Originally Posted by yenool View Post
    Can I ask who offered you that? The GP or though another service?

I am hoping the Uni will write a letter of support, they mentioned they may possibly be able to do so at the time , so I am waiting for them to get back to me on that one.

The GP told me getting psychotherapy in this area was 'next to impossible'. Perhaps I should push harder as 'next to' isn't actually impossible is it.

The GP surgery has a counsellor but I was told they are limited on sessions and it is 'counselling not psychotherapy', plus a very long waiting list. The Dr didn't say so, but I got the impression he did not think the counsellor would be suitable. There was some talk of group sessions possibly being available but I'm not sure about that - the Uni person I saw was quite specific that I needed 1-2-1 and in fact said she didn't think the group workshops the Uni also offer would be suitable for me.

I know psychotherapy tends to dig a lot deeper but I'm told that is what I need and I think I agree. I've had CBT a few times but nothing that actually gets to the root of the problem.
    I was referred to a psychiatrist through the Community Mental Health Team and Crisis Team in my local area after a meltdown (that's what I call it) and that was what he suggested.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Thread Information