Thread: My Success story with Anxiety

My Success story with Anxiety

Hi there,

I joined here over a year ago and this site has helped me so much, I wanted to give a little back.

I started having anxiety attacks in Dec 2010 after a VERY stressful season at work. It was terrible, I was in the ER 4 times, once because I was convinced I was having a heart attack at 26 years old. I 've had every medical problem I could think of, anuerysms, blood clots, you name it, I had it. I couldn't fall asleep at night for fear of not waking up. I would get SEVERE reflux and chest pains...cauising even more panic. I would have panic attacks every morning on my way to work.
    I dropped almost 25 pounds in a short period of time, I just didn't look at life the same way.

The past few month or so has been amazing. I rarely get the chest pains anymore. I started exercising which has helped. I don't feel as "on edge". Don't get me wrong, I still have moments of panic but nothing like I used to.

I just wanted to let people know that are suffering that it doesn't have to be forever. Accepting that panic can't hurt you helped me too. It's been a rough road and I do believe it's made me stronger.
    I am now 5 weeks pregnant with my first child and feel even more confident going into this pregnancy (which I would have thought was going to terrify me!) knowing that I can do this.

Hope everyone gets to feel this " I got through it" moment....hang in there!

Jessica

Re: My Success story with Anxiety

Hi Jess,its nice to hear you are being confident good luck......take care

'Take risks in your life''
    If you win, you can lead!
    If you loose,you can guide!

Hi Jess4
    Great news about your recovery & of course your pregnancy.
    Just wanted to ask are you on medication? or have you been on it & come off? if so how long ago?
    Sorry so many questions but love to here success stories & how you over came anxiety x

Thank you

I never took medication. I was prescribed citalopram but I wanted to try and do it on my own first. Since the panic attacks happened most when I started having symptoms (chest pain, feeling like I couldn't breathe..etc) I tried to eliminate them.
    I would drink ginger or peppermint tea for the reflux, and just remember to BREATHE. Slow deep breaths. I would breathe into a blanket too to help calm down. It really is about accepting what it is and that nothing's going to hurt you. Remind yourself that you've felt that way before and it will pass.

Good luck
    Jessica

Thread Information