Thread: Trazodone start up

Trazodone start up

I've been on 100mg of Trazodone for 3 weeks this coming Wednesday and don't know if I am having heightened anxiety and feeling really depressed and weepy because of it or because I am also weaning off Mirtazapine and going through withdrawel.
    I have usually always taken Citalopram but it causes me to have terrible panic attacks for ages before I settle on it. I just wondered what everyone elses experiences of Trazodone were. Can it make you more anxious to begin with like Ssri ad's? Whenever I ask my doctors they just say OH NO but they said that about Citalopram and I started up on that on 3 occasions an dhad the panic attacks every single time!
    I've looked on the net and most people seem to take Trazodone for a sleeping aid not an AD/anti anxiety drug these days.

Re: Trazodone start up

I've just spoken to a doctor today who says ALL Ad's cause an increase in anxiety and the depression side to the illness to get worse before better in the first few weeks. I wish I'd gone on Citalopram now as at least I know that def works for me as I've taken it 3 times in the past and always got better by this point, where as trying to escape start up S/E's I'm still at square one ):

I'm quitting Trazodone cold turkey but have only been on it 19 days so I'm hoping I will be ok and I have diazepam in the house and I've upped my Mirtazapine again! I really wanted to be AD free but whther it was the start up of the Trazodone or withdrawal from the Mirt causing me to be so so ill this weekend, I just aren't ready to face feeling so bad especially when my litlte boy is finding it hard going back to school, he was only there 5 weeks before the summer hols as we've moved in with my parents who live a 100 miles away from Cleethorpes where my litlte boy has been raised all his life.

I'm OFF the Trazodone and feeling much better but still on Mirtazapine unfortunatley, my mood is good now I'm back on 30mg's of it but I still wake up with my usual anxiety so really do want off this meds too, the doctors want to put me on Sertraline but last time I tried it I had a panic attack wihtin 2 days. I wonder if I turned back time and just stuck with Lorazepam until I got out of my marriage whther I would have been ok now. ie.did I even need an AD as I just seem to have been 50 times worse on them??????

I just thought I'd mention that I now beleive it wasn't the start p of Trazodone that made me feel bad, it was coming off Mirtazapine. I finally came off it this week (slowly over a few eeks ) but it's been hell to get off. I really wish I'd given Traz longer now.

Well back on Trazodone at a 50mg start up dose but getting a fair bit of heightened anxiety during the day, sleeping much better though now and most of my other side effects wore off pretty quickly like feeling a bit sick and indegestion. Has any one else suffered with the hieghtened anxiety and though I know we are all different, how long on average did it last? I am guessing you get side effects each time you increase your dose too! Still it's still a fairly easy ad to start up on compared to ssri's and snri's and I'm not on Diazepam now to help.

Thread Information