Thread: Panic attacks and work

Panic attacks and work

I really need some advice. I've been having loads of problems at work. They asked for access to my medical records and I gave it to them. They have now recived a letter from my doctor and an information sheet on panic attacks. I have to go to a meeting on Friday to discuss the report and I'm more nervous than ever. Has anyone else had to do stuff like this?

Re: Panic attacks and work

Have they told you why they wanted the records and what the meeting is about?

The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to see if you had a history of panic and never declared it on the application form to them but obviously I don't know how long you have been there or if you were ever asked such questions.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I had to do that when I was off sick. It was to do with the sickness insurance cover that the company had and they needed the medical records to assist in a claim (as I'd run out of sick pay).

Good that your doc sent them some information about panic attacks though - mine was next to useless! I think companies are generally interested in finding a positive way forward for you, as they are bound by a lot of legislation. Go in with an open mind and be honest.

Eeb x
    Last edited by EebyJeeby; 10-07-07 at 21:43. Reason: typo

Good luck with the interview Moff. Sadly a lot of people, especially in employment where there is the ever present need to get the number of sick days down are not sympathetic to people who have depression and anxiety.
    I would suggest you go in, hear what they have to say. Are they saying they are sympathetic to you being unwell? Are they suggesting helping you? Or are they being unhelpful, suggesting you are not up to the job etc?
    If it is the latter, involve your union straight away if you have one, remember as a worker you do have rights. Don't let them put you down or make assumptions about you.
    Let us know how it goes OK?
    I have never let my work know about my history, as anyone here who says anything about that is never promoted, and there is a huge misunderstanding about the condition. One person off with anxiety was described as a 'nutter' need I say more?
    Good luck

Thread Information