Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry throat and croaky voice

Dry throat and croaky voice

Over the last few weeks I have been feeling like my throat is always dry, even after drinking water, I remember ive had this symptom in the past but in addition to that I have a croaky voice. Once I have been talking for a minute or 2 my voice goes really hoarse.

It is worrying me it could be linked to something bad? I know my GP would just say I am worrying over nothing, he treats me like 'little miss worrier' even after having CBT and feeling fine for quite a while, makes me mad.

I am not feeling im thirsty all the time or anything like that, maybe I don't drink as much as I should really. I would say I drink a pint of water a day max but over the last few days ive been trying to drink more and yet it is still hoarse when I talk.

I am not ill or anything, I mean ive had this with colds before in the past but I haven 't had a cold. I have a wierd rubbing loud noise which I thought was down my ear but my GP said it is TMJ as it isn't down the ear, the noise I hear is just infront of the ear and he said my ears look perfect inside but I was worrying if its all cold/sinus related but he said ive no cold or fever so not to worry, ive had mild sinus probs in the past.

I am worrying alot over this throat thing and I am feeling exhausted, I am getting little sleep too thanks to my new puppy probably only 6 hours a night and since coming home from Spain 2 weeks ago I am still in holiday mode so not sleeping well at night, lol!

Re: Dry throat and croaky voice

Hi,

Couple of questions, though I'm sure you're aware that this is a classic symptom of anxiety, let's run through a few things...

You said you drink a pint of water a day, what else do you drink, coffee, tea etc? Or is it just the water? Do you smoke? Do you have any issues with stomach acid, indigestion etc? Are you breathing in through your nose or your mouth?

If you have sinus problems this can account for a dry throat, hoarse voice etc, but we'll see what your answers are to the other questions first

Chris

i dont smoke , i do suffer from ibs. Lately ivd had abit of nasal congestion, just a blocked feeling but no snot draining? No fever either so gp said as ive no fever, no green from nose, is he right?:(

Meh, GP's look for the obvious unless they're particularly worried, I'd take that as a reassuring sign myself.

Anyway, no snot, but your nose is blocked? So it could be sinus, it could also be allergy, either of those can leave your throat dry and hoarse. Sinus especially will give you postnasal drip, which when I've had this in the past has left me feeling sore, hoarse and to be honest feeling sick from swallowing all that badness.

If it's allergy related try a mild anti-histamine, you could also try a saline nasal spray for your nose and see if it opens things up a bit. As for your throat, I suspect alot of it is caused by anxiety but it won't harm you to drink a bit more water, fruit juice or whatever.

I suffer from IBS too and if it's affecting your upper GI then you could have acid irritating your throat (you don't even need to be aware of it for that to be happening), though thankfully my sinus problem of many years resolved after an ear infection last year, I also drink far more water than you (2-2.5 litres a day) and I still have the dry throat and hoarse voice which will last for days at a time.

Try to stop worrying about it so much easier said than done I know, you've said you've had these symptoms before, I think in time these will pass too.

Chris

Thanks.

I suffer with m y sinuses on & off, CT scans have shown mild sinus disease in the past but my recent one in May showed it was all pretty much fine and normal.

I just get a blocked nostril now and again and it jumps sides, very odd.

NO fever or green from nose so GP says it is fine and not sinusitis?

Tonight my nose was running abit, was clear though.

"I just get a blocked nostril now and again and it jumps sides, very odd."
    Oh I used to get this all the time, it might not be sinusitis so much as trapped fluid or air in the sinuses, ie no infection, but the sinuses still have the pressure. It was worse for me in bed, I'd roll over and I'd feel one nostril clear all of a sudden and a few minutes later the other one's blocked, it's really kind of weird like that

"Tonight my nose was running abit, was clear though."
    Yeah that suggests more of an allergy, which will block things up anyway and can also affect your sinuses. Though having said this when I'm at my worst, I'll often spend ages sneezing and blowing out clear fluid, this only affected me at night though, just before bed so I suspect it was dust more than pollen etc.

Aimee- put honey in your water to sooth your throat. Next, get the netti pot and start with that to get your sinus under control. Your throat is that way because your sinus is dripping down your throat. Is it worse in the AM right when you wake up? Honey will help clear up any possible slight sinus infection becuase it is a natural antibiotic and it will sooth your throat. You need local honey not store bought. Good luck.

Thanks, im just really worrying its sinusitis but gp always said unless u have a fever and green mucus ftom nose it isnt??

I do rinse daily with a sinus rinse bottle, nothing comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
    Thanks, im just really worrying its sinusitis but gp always said unless u have a fever and green mucus ftom nose it isnt??

I do rinse daily with a sinus rinse bottle, nothing comes out?
    Hi Aimee

i read once that if you are stressed, blood circulation alters and less goes to your extremities. The nose is an extermity and I also read...( fountain of knowledge today!! ) ...that when nerve function is not perfect onthe nose it can cause a feeling of the nostril/s being blocked. Stress causing the blood flow to the nose to be less than perfect will cause the nerve function to be slightly effected. It might also give a tingling sensation of teh tip, do you ge tthis? I do.

Lisa
    xxxx

Yes ive had that in past lisa.

Maybe it is stress especially as gp think the ear is tmj related.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information