Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hard times ahead ?

hard times ahead ?

Hi guys , Lately I keep hearing on the tv news that the world is having a hard time with interst rates and people are not spending and apparently things are going to get worse , so my husband has just come home from work and tells me that they are calling a big meeting tomorrow cos trade has slowed down alot , (he works delivering building materials in his lorry).
    Its always the building trade that gets hit first and it seems its started now, so we are worried sick and im going into a panic here and have just started emptying our piggy banks trying to get things in order.
    If only i could work more ( i do 4 hours a week and struggle)but this bloody anxiety and inner ear problem is getting in the way. Ive never claimed incapasity even tho i must be entitled to it.
    I just dont know which way to turn , does money make you panic too ?

Re: hard times ahead ?

Hi Mirry,

Yes,lots of people are feeling the pinch-me included!!!
    I work part-time for an Indian takeaway and the last few months have seen people cutting back.My friends who work for Chinese takeaways are also noticing business down by at least 30-40%.
    Call into your local Citizen's Advice Bureau and make sure you are getting your full entitlement-I was recently told by Jobcentre staff that applications for benefits submitted with the assistance of CAB staff are much more likely to be accepted simply because they are fully/properly filled in.I know there will be exceptions to this rule but their advice is free and expert.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Hi Mirry

Yes it very worrying isnt it. We have just sold our home again (the second time) as the housing market is supposed to be crashing too so we have heard. Our first buyer backed out for this reason so im keeping my fingers crossed all goes well this time i dont think i can cope with all the stress of the house sale falling through again, so fingers crossed.

Love

Andrea
    xxxxx

Chalky is right about checking benefits at the CAB. they can draft/write letters and have all the latest information about benefits. Don't beat yourself up about not being able to work more hours. You are doing what you can and I'm sure your husband apprciates that.

This is a problem in the US too right now!
    No one is formal using the term recession but I fear that is where we are headed!!!
    We are so far behind that I am working 59 hours a week and Jerry (the hubby) is working 56 hours a week to try and get everything caught up and maybe have a little put away for what is coming!!!
    It's scary to think about and especially for people such as myself and others here who have the 'what if's' !!
    I guess that everyone just has to do what they are able to do and let the future bring whatever it's going to. My husband always says ' is worrying about it going to get those bills paid quicker?'
    He is right in that worrying about it isn't going to solve it but DAMN it's hard not to sit and fret over it all!!!!!!!
    xxx
    Sandy

Hi Mirry,

money is one of my major fears...dont know why... but the news recently has been really freaking me out....Ive stopped watching news and reading newspapers now....I also think the media have a huge role in this as they tend to sensationalise everything sending everyone into a panic which makes everything worse (I remember there was a problem with petrol a few years ago and there were no queues until the news started broadcasting about the panic caused by petrol shortages...)

I think it is prudent to watch your finances mind you, but if I dwell on this I'll probably have a major panic (I wouldnt just be skint, Id imagine my family homeless, destitute and the kids turning to drugs as a result....not that I tend to catastrophise lol).

Heres hoping things will settle soon.

Coni X

This may/may not help but our electricity bill is huge so we have done this to cut down and save money..

Turn all lights out that are not necessary

Run dishwasher on economy programme - takes less than 25 mins and cleans just as well

Run washing machine on quick wash - not noticed any difference to the cleanliness of the washing

Bought a power saving plug thing that turns things off that you usually leave on standby

Only turn TV on when we want to watch something and not just for background noise!

It all helps doesn't it?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi there MIRRY is there any form of self emloyment that you can do from home as well as your 4 hours? Some skills that you have that might set you up??
    I know it is a worry i'm self employed and sometimes when ill can't do that!!
    I think that the media though is hyping things up as usual.
    So i wouldn't worry too much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi every one , Nic I like the sound of the plug that turns everything off in one go , does it have a name ? I think i should get one of those.
    Richie , I make jewellery and sell it in 2 outlets now ( i just lost on of my outlets ). I find i do not make much from this because people want a bargain , dont we all .
    Ive been making a little bit of money on pigsback , here is the link ....http://pigsback.co.uk/Pages/4/7/12.a...69%2c1269%2cHP

Ive also started buying some value things , and to my surprise have found some things taste fab . These are the following ........

All Tesco Value.

used to buy Homepride curry sauce £1.20 approx and now buy a tesco value tin of curry sauce for 5p , rofl , really !!! and it tastes lovely.
    And I buy value rice , for a 1/4 of the price.
    Used to buy finish dishwasher tablets , £3.50 approx for 30, now buy tesco value for £1.79 for 30.

Used to buy Hovis bread £1.20 approx a loaf , now buy tescos own 39p and buy the 19p value loaf for making toast.

I mix a good brand washing powder with a cheap brand and only use a tiny bit cos I use dolly balls in the machine which help clean the clothes too.

If I see buy one get one free of things we use i tend to stock up .

Alot of my tins are of value nature now .

I have also sent off for lots of freebies.

My husband found out his job is safe for now , but they are cutting back in lots of ways and got rid of one person.

I agree with Nic, our electricity bill has soared this last year.

We now have added auto timers on the washer and dryer plugs, so we load them in the evening and they switch on at midnight. Also the dishwasher has a delay option so it starts during the night too.

Our electric is 12p a unit in the day and 4p a unit at night between 12-6am.

It makes quite a significant different especially when there are 4-5 of you.

It helps to share tips so keep them coming.

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information