Thread: Can I increase the dosage on my own?

Can I increase the dosage on my own?

Hi everyone,

I have been on sertraline for anxiety and depression for almost 3 months - I was on 50mg for the first 8 weeks, and then increased to 75 (not 100 because I was worried about getting really bad side effects again like when I first started taking the meds). While it has helped my anxiety, I am still really depressed.

I saw my doctor again today and she did not suggest increasing my dosage (and because I am an idiot I forgot to mention the possibility), but I spoke to someone else who had taken antidepressants and they said that they thought the dosage should be increased if I am seeing no effect still. I am so desperate to see some improvement that I am considering going up to 100mg without waiting another week before I see the doctor again - is this a really bad idea?

(I am aware that meds are not a miracle cure and I am still waiting for a counselling appointment, but in the meantime...)

Stella

Re: Can I increase the dosage on my own?

You could give your doctors surgery a ring and ask the doctor to ring you they have instant access to your notes and could advise you how to proceed, I wouldn't up your dose without their approval Stella.

Ray

Re: Can I increase the dosage on my own?

I Stella, you should talk to your Dr. about that. However I will say that I did not notice any real improvements for me until I went up to 100mg. Additionally, I have increased now to 150mg. My Dr. said that people with anxiety usually need a much higher dosage. I know that you have said that your Anxiety is improved and that you are now just depressed but low Anxiety can feel like intense depression. When I have low grade Anxiety to me it feels like an overwhelming wave of sadness and when I feel like that I do get suicidal... I hope things improve for you and that you find something that works, don't give up as there are so many medications and treatments for both Anxiety and Depression that something WILL work. I have been feeling much better but I do hope this lasts. I read your last post as well and let me tell you that you are not inventing your Depression or your Anxiety but looking at things in a different perspective helps and knowing that the way you re seeing things right now is distorted due to the Depression and anxiety because those 2 are liars and convince you that everything is your fault and that there is no hope and that is simply not true, remind yourself that the Depression is lying to you and that you can feel happy again and there is a good life awaiting you. Accept that you feel Depressed and that it is ok to feel that way even though it certainly feels awful. Remember that there are many people out there that feel or have felt like you, so many that would surprise you. Don't be afraid to increase your dose or try a different medication (with your Dr.'s supervision). It can't hurt to try and if the side effects are not tolerable you can always use an Antianxiety medication to help you through. You can always try a different medication as well. Try everything you can and try to spend time with people that make you feel better. I send you a big hug!!! This too shall pass, BELIEVE IT!

Thread Information