Thread: Hospitals and doctors' offices

Hospitals and doctors' offices

I am afraid of going to the doctor or the hospital. It's to the point that I'll probably die one day because I'm too afraid to go. I actually cried the other day because I had to go to the doctor. I almost didn't go in even though it was an important appointment. And wouldn't you know it, I didn't die and I didn't get taken away in an ambulance. But still, here I am fearing the doctor.

I am experiencing some health issues where I need to see a few different doctors now. An OB, cardiologist, and MFM. This is a nightmare for me but at the same time I view it as a lesson. It's proof that one day something will be wrong with me, and I will have to learn to accept that because we all have an expiration date. No one cheats death. I'm hoping to get over this fear and to get back to where I was before this all happened.

Re: Hospitals and doctors' offices

Do you have anyone who go with you?
    i know taking someone with you is a safety behaviour but if it will increase your chance of going to something important then i would take somebody, my OH usually falls victim to taking me to the hospital as i'm terrified of doctors and all things hospitals. in fact they're seeing if they can take the 3rd of march off work to take me to my barium swallow as if its up to me i wouldn't go (oops)
    it is a tricky one and i think we never truly get used to appointments in the sense of we still worry just before it's natural, but if you start off small and take some steps towards improving it it will get better,
    unfortunately avoidance is on the huge no no list and i had to learn that the hard way lol x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

I'll be honest, I'm more anxious with someone else in the room. I feel like I have to react a certain way for them. It's bad enough having the doctor and/or nurse in the room. It's so small in there, and I get claustrophobic. It's ridiculous I know. It's also hard for me to relax with someone else in there.

Being admitted to the hospital is a nightmare for me though. I just cry so much and fear that I'll never be able to go outside again. That I'll be trapped in that hospital room forever, or die there. If I'm dying in a hospital ever, I hope that they let me die outside. I don't want to be in a scary room.

I hate doctors ever since I was little .i would get anxious and scared that a doctor assumed I had heart issues because my heart rate was high .she told my mom that I needed to be checked for heart issues when I was 7years old . nothing was wrong with me .

To this day I hate going but sometimes we have no other option . If our health requires it then we must suffer through it .i always take someone with me since being in those little waiting rooms Make me nervous .so if I go with my mom or daughter at least I have someone there to distract me

That sounds awful. Can you think of when this fear started or has it always been with you?

I have the same issue. i've had to see several doctors and have had to call the paramedics twice (due to anxiety, or MAYBE a possible heart problem. Everyone around me is convinced it's anxiety, but me. But you know what? I need to get this done so that i can move on. If there is something wrong with my heart-- well that's part of life and it needs to be fixed. It's part of getting older. I just wanted to pop in and say hello, and to let you know you are not alone.

I feel your pain. It's always ironic to me that I would rather not go to a doctor and potentially miss a diagnosis of something than just go and likely receive good news because I've worried about nothing. I've started to develop a secondary fear that I will be unable to go get medical attention if needed and I will cause myself to die or come to great harm when it could have been easily avoided...like I will let something go like cancer until it is too late. :(

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due."
    William Ralph Inge

I am completely terrified of drs abs have sky high bp there

Thread Information