Thread: Both calves ache

Both calves ache

I had pain in both calves suddenly come on yesterday. When I first stand up from a sitting position, there's a tight pulling sensation-ache when I put pressure on them and start walking but it improves as I'm walking and with stretching, too. If I sit down though I'm back to square one again when I stand up.

They're not hard but if I press/push the flabby part of the calf, it's painful. Not excruciating, sharp or shooting, more like dull aching.

I can't stop tensing, flexing, poking and prodding and fixating on it either. If I flex my leg and point my toes upward, I feel an intense pulling sensation in both.

It's driving me crazy and worrying me. For the ladies: I also have my period so I'm not sure if it's related.

Can anyone help? I'm not having clot anxiety because I have no symptoms of that and it's exactly the same feeling in both legs. Thanks for reading.
    Do it afraid. All fear is but the notion that God's love ends. "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." Psalm 94:19

Re: Both calves ache

Did you do much exercise yesterday? it sounds like you've possibly pulled them and they get stiff if you sit too long x

Thanks for your reply, Lukas. It's the simple answer isn't it? The one health anxiety never allows for. Thank you!

I am not the world's best exerciser especially since my anxiety turned into depression. But I have been doing squats which might have caused the strain since those muscles definitely get used. Its also the muscles I use when I drive stick, which I always do, and I tend to tense up my lower leg muscles.

The problem with health anxiety is I want it to heal right away and apparently strains/pulls/stiffness doesn't. Since it came on I've been tensing and stretching like mad to check if it's better which can't be helping. It doesn't ache if I walk on tiptoes so the trouble is in putting weight on them.
    Do it afraid. All fear is but the notion that God's love ends. "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." Psalm 94:19

Update for the benefit of anyone else ever experiencing tight calves for longer than a day: it's much better day 3, after applying ice and not tensing or stretching it. Ice worked better than warmth did. Although it could've been a combination of hot baths and ice packs. Calves feel floppy again not like bricks. (Which should've been a clue that they were stiff )

Hey Ditapage glad to hear you're doing better,
    You could of even got cramp in them as that leaves them horrifically tender afterwards(i speak from experience )

The squats will cause that, especially if you dont perform them correctly.

Tight calf muscles, pure and simple. Get a sports deep tissue massage or a "grid" foam massage roller.
    https://tptherapy.com/product/GRID_FoamRoller

Good Luck.

Thread Information