Thread: How do you know when you're ready to stop taking meds?

How do you know when you're ready to stop taking meds?

Hi guys. Bit of an odd question, but how will I know when I'm ready to start weaning off my meds? I've been on citalopram for a year in April and feel a lot better than I did but I'm frightened to try weaning off for fear of returning to my original symptoms. I'm guessing that's a red flag to say I'm not ready to stop eh?

I'd like to eventually come off them, even if it's just to see if the zombiefied feeling goes away, but I don't want to risk a relapse and I see quite a few posts where people have stopped, relapsed, started the meds again, and they haven't worked! That fills me with dread as no way could I go back to that awful place I was in during 2015/16.

Re: How do you know when you're ready to stop taking meds?

Hi Mojo. To be honest im not sure. I too have wondered that and like you I am much better than I was, however definitely not right. I have been at 30mg for about 3 months and 20mg for 8 months. I've just decided that I'm still not right so what's the point in continuing so I am day 5 at 20mg. I am having moments where I feel pretty good and moments where I feel pretty bad but just going to come off the med and see how I feel. I'm trying not to dwell on it too much and keeping pretty active. I think the mind can make you feel worse than you actually do. My doc said it my call really. I will be interested if I stop feeling so hungry. I've put 3 stone on since starting the med. I've had a few mornings where nearly forgot my med and yet in the early days it was all I could think of.. good luck whatever you decide x

Re: How do you know when you're ready to stop taking meds?

Thanks Polly. I never went above 20mg, perhaps I should have done but I was only just coping on 20 what with the nausea, insomnia, crazy dreams etc. I didn't want more of those side effects so I stuck at 20.

I have good and bad times; like you sometimes I forget about the anxiety and think I'm back to normal, but then it comes back to remind me that the fight isn't over yet.

I think also that my expectations are a little too high. I assumed I'd start the meds and within a few weeks all my worries would be over and I'd return to how I was before, after all that's what I'd been reading on the forums. The reality was somewhat different and now I'm thinking I have reached the stage of as good as it's going to get and I just need to work a bit harder.

Thread Information