Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you accept dpdr?

How do you accept dpdr?

In order to cure DPDR I must accept DPDR and just live with it without it producing anxiety. But how can that be achieved?
    I am constantly anxious most of the time, except some evenings. When I try to think positively, I get these negative thoughts that I will never recover and will stay like this forever. I also get really anxious when thinking about good old times when I did not feel this way. I also kind of blame myself for smoking weed since it did all this to me?
    How do I change this pattern and start my road to recovery?

Re: How do you accept dpdr?

I feel exactly the same as you, I'm sad to say. I feel like I'm the one to blame for the state I'm in, and while this may be true because it's our feelings and our brain, our body and mind, it's not as simple as that. You're not just a product of your own free will, but of many environmental and biological factors. You can't deny the role of brain chemistry in our anxiety.
    However, you could simply not make matters worse by using drugs.

My panic attacks manifest themselves as DP/DR and, just like you, I wonder how on earth will I ever recover and/or learn to just 'accept' my panic and anxiety. I've been asking myself this question for 15 years. Therapy is useful, so I'd suggest that, as is taking medication. Other than that, a recovery from panic is a complete mystery to me...

Talked to a relative who had similar anxiety problems and he had recovered, although it took some time. He got me a psychologist.

It's comforting to hear that your relative has recovered - good on him. I hope the psychologist helps you. It's very liberating being able to talk about your issues with someone who is knowledgeable on the topic and knows how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by ana View Post
    It's comforting to hear that your relative has recovered - good on him. I hope the psychologist helps you. It's very liberating being able to talk about your issues with someone who is knowledgeable on the topic and knows how to help you.
    Have you been in this state non stop for 15 years or you got it first 15 years ago and have had occasional times when it's good and bad?

I've had anxiety non-stop for 15 years (actually, it will be 16 years in March next year). I have, however, had good and bad years. The best years of my life when the anxiety was the lowest was between 2006 and 2010. Over the years, I've had therapy (am now seeing someone else, a new therapist), have been on 7 different medications so far, and yet I'm still here. It may sound like a depressing story, but the fact of the matter is - I'm still here.

Quote Originally Posted by ana View Post
    I've had anxiety non-stop for 15 years (actually, it will be 16 years in March next year). I have, however, had good and bad years. The best years of my life when the anxiety was the lowest was between 2006 and 2010. Over the years, I've had therapy (am now seeing someone else, a new therapist), have been on 7 different medications so far, and yet I'm still here. It may sound like a depressing story, but the fact of the matter is - I'm still here.
    Similar story for me, I've had anxiety problems ever since I started school and it was kind of non stop for me too while I was at school. Later, OCD and DPDR episodes started to appear but after like 5th grade I sorted out those problems and felt good until like 8th grade when I had an episode of depression, OCD and DPDR. I managed to get over it myself, up until this weed experience.
    Once I talked to my parents and relatives, started feeling kind of better now, actually feeling the will to eat (could not eat a lot before as I had lots of anxiety).
    Currently consuming B vitamins and herbal anti anxiety pills.

I'm pleased to hear you've started feeling a little better. It's priceless being able to talk to your parents and relatives, and have them understand and support you. Are you going to make an appointment with a therapist? If you managed to get over anxiety once, I'm sure you can do it again.

You just wake up in the morning and go about your day as if it doesn't exist. When the negative and anxious thoughts creep in remind yourself that its merely an unpleasant symptom of anxiety and then move on.

I had this 24/7 for nearly a year, worst feeling imaginable, but it only got better when I started to ignore it and lose my fear of it.

Thank you Lissa for your very beneficial comment, I'm going to start tomorrow exactly that way. I also feel exactly the same way as OP. EXACTLY. The little voice in my head keeps saying you are never going to go back to your carefree happy self because now you know this horrible dark side = panic.

NO MORE FEAR. ACCEPTANCE.

'CONTINUAL ACCEPTANCE FINISHES THE JOB ' - Claire Weekes
    Last edited by Hanm88; 01-12-16 at 00:31.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information