Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol anxiety

Alcohol anxiety

Yet again ive done it!im back here i really thought id cracked it this time but ive been sat here in bed panicking after only a few hours sleep.i had a drink on saturday so i needed a drink yesterday morning before going to a family meal at the pub where i just started knocking pints back like they where water.once i was already drunk i decided i was going to the pub to meet some friends and watch the football.i won on a bet so of course that meant i drank even more and no doubt i remember acting an idiot before blackout.my mum came and picked me up from the pub and i dont know whats happened but i had a text saying i owe her a big apology and she wont ever pick me up from the pub again.ive been disturbing my girlfriend all night i feel like a low down failure.im like a broken record i keep coming back to this site for reassurance and i will just fail again in another few weeks because im so weak

Re: Alcohol anxiety

Abusing alcohol like this will worsen your anxiety. Even in moderation, any benefit from alcohol it is lost a few hours later when the blood sugars go nuts leading to panic attacks..

I gave up alcohol last Feb after a trip to A&E with a MAJOR panic attack. That was enough for me. I never wanted to feel like that again and the trigger was the 7% beer I'd had a few hours earlier.

All the reassurance in the world won't help you if you don't do something about it. If you can't address the problem yourself, get some help.

Aside from coming on here for reassurance, what have you done to help yourself?

We've all been pissed, well most of us anyway and we - the pissed - have no concept about how annoying we are to everybody else. You're not alone by any means but you need to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

All the best.

Ive tried all different kinds of meds zoloft,paxil,citalopram etc etc but nothing has helped me.ive seen different phsycologists and therapists and dont get anything out of it.im currently on my third month on fluoxitine but thats just something else that isnt going to work.i take mertrazipine at night but its starting making me gain weight so thats just going to make me more socially anxious.i had a severe brain injury about 10 years back and physically made a good recovery learning to walk and talk again but i would rather still be in a wheelchair than be left with this horrible anxiety im just a hermit now and im missing out on my sons life

Quote Originally Posted by Matylane View Post
    Ive tried all different kinds of meds zoloft,paxil,citalopram etc etc but nothing has helped me.ive seen different phsycologists and therapists and dont get anything out of it.im currently on my third month on fluoxitine but thats just something else that isnt going to work.i take mertrazipine at night but its starting making me gain weight so thats just going to make me more socially anxious.i had a severe brain injury about 10 years back and physically made a good recovery learning to walk and talk again but i would rather still be in a wheelchair than be left with this horrible anxiety im just a hermit now and im missing out on my sons life
    You're not drinking that much alcohol while taking your meds are you?

Firstly, good hear you made a good recovery from your injury. So, you aint weak because it takes guts to get better from anything major like that.

Second, anxiety can be cured or worst case, managed.

Third, I know what you mean about your son. I'm the same so let him be your focus for beating anxiety and you WILL beat it.

Fourth, alcohol (especially excessive) and medication don't go well and can seriously make your anxiety symptoms worse.

You'll get through this. You will.

Hi Mat think you realise you have a problem with drink which is addictive. Meds and drink don't mix so kind of defeats the object of taking them!!! Peer pressure doesn't help either If I was having pint with you ( I can drink sensabily and still have a good time) you wouldn't need to be constantly knocking them back!! it's not a competition to see who is still standing at the end of the night Seriously this is now one day at a time and I am sure you have heard of the AA meetings 12 step programme etc been to a sister group for Gambling run exactly the same way as AA groups but certain words are changed to do with the condition, And most importantly we are here for you Cheers

I know that alcohol is making my problems worse in the long run but i still enjoy having that fix for a few hours a week i dont mind spending the next day in bed.i cant work so ive not got responsibilities and my girlfriend doesnt mind seeing to the baby herself for the day(today is one of these)i was allways the biggest drinker out of my mates before my injury and problems started so once im in the pub i childisly want to live up to it after a few drinks and try to prove im still the alpha male like some drunken teenager 'i can drink more than you'thanks for the replies nora and bigboy im tired of battling this but tommorow i know i will be a little more upbeat.im going to beat this and give my son the good childhood i never had

I know that alcohol is making my problems worse in the long run but i still enjoy having that fix for a few hours a week i dont mind spending the next day in bed.i cant work so ive not got responsibilities and my girlfriend doesnt mind seeing to the baby herself for the day(today is one of these)i was allways the biggest drinker out of my mates before my injury and problems started so once im in the pub i childisly want to live up to it after a few drinks and try to prove im still the alpha male like some drunken teenager 'i can drink more than you'thanks for the replies nora and bigboy im tired of battling this but tommorow i know i will be a little more upbeat.im going to beat this and give my son the good childhood i never had
    Well at least you aren't in denial it's ok having that fix, its controlling it though my friend!! Can I ask how old you are? The Alpha male thing well it's not well I am the top man oh no you all are equal there is nothing to prove and if you think your mates will think you are weak then are they mates?? And sorry I am going to be blunt here you actually do have responsabilities you have a baby that is yours not just you GF's and i's ok saying well she doesn't mind maybe she doesn't mind that's not the point Go Figure Rant over LOL

I know that alcohol is making my problems worse in the long run but i still enjoy having that fix for a few hours a week i dont mind spending the next day in bed.i cant work so ive not got responsibilities and my girlfriend doesnt mind seeing to the baby herself for the day(today is one of these)
    Is that few hours 'fix' worth how shit you feel for the rest of the time though?

If you have a baby you have responsibilities and don't take it for granted that your GF is OK with it because the female mind is a complex thing. Trust me.

i was allways the biggest drinker out of my mates before my injury and problems started so once im in the pub i childisly want to live up to it after a few drinks and try to prove im still the alpha male like some drunken teenager 'i can drink more than you'thanks
    Thing is, you know it's doing you harm and keeping you unwell. It's not your mates who have to deal with the after effects of the drinking...it's your GF who already has her hands full with the little un. You need to change how you think and how you see yourself. You know that, don't you?

The most important thing in your life is your boy. He deserves the effort it will take for you to do this. I have little reminders everywhere to keep me focused. Photographs of my son or pictures he's drawn for me. I WILL get better because he needs a strong mum and you will get better because your son needs a strong dad.

You can do it, I have faith in you but please don't be afraid to ask for professional help.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Im 33 going on 93 lol.its all me and my mates have ever done since being young teenagers meet up in the pub at weekends most of us are just glorified drinking buddies if we didnt meet in the pub we wouldnt see each other.I understand where your coming from i know ive got responsibilities to my son i just meant i dont have work commitments.i am a bad dad today but tommorow he will have me back and i will do my best to make it up to him.my girlfriend is in work tommorow so we will have a good old dad and lad day

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Is that few hours 'fix' worth how shit you feel for the rest of the time though?

If you have a baby you have responsibilities and don't take it for granted that your GF is OK with it because the female mind is a complex thing. Trust me.

Thing is, you know it's doing you harm and keeping you unwell. It's not your mates who have to deal with the after effects of the drinking...it's your GF who already has her hands full with the little un. You need to change how you think and how you see yourself. You know that, don't you?

The most important thing in your life is your boy. He deserves the effort it will take for you to do this. I have little reminders everywhere to keep me focused. Photographs of my son or pictures he's drawn for me. I WILL get better because he needs a strong mum and you will get better because your son needs a strong dad.

You can do it, I have faith in you but please don't be afraid to ask for professional help.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
    Thanks i have to get through this for my son hes the only thing keeping me going lately.i wont be a deadbeat dad like i had i just keep losing focus and i need a way of reminding myself how it affects everyone else when i go on a bender

Im 33 going on 93 lol.
    Tell me about it...46 going on 106 here.

i wont be a deadbeat dad like i had i just keep losing focus and i need a way of reminding myself how it affects everyone else when i go on a bender
    You don't have to make the same mistakes as your dad. It's your story and you get to write it. One of the best books I've ever read is by Viktor Frankl who survived the Holocaust and of his horrendous experience in the concentration camps, he said this..

Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.

It's as simple as that.

No matter what the situation, it's our choice how to deal with it.

Whenever I have a really bad day, which happens often, I think of this and know that if he could come through something as terrible as that with a positive attitude, I can certainly give it a go.

Change the inner dialogue and think positively. You will have bad days and it's on those days that you have to work the hardest but your reward will be recovery and your life back.

All the very best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information