Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Advertising on NMP

Re: Advertising on NMP

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've had a few Macmillan cancer ads..
    One for The Daily Fail has just popped up. That's going to be hilariously ironic if it happens in next complaint thread about them!

---------- Post added at 04:59 ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Oh yes Terry. I am picking up things that Mr C has been browsing and he is a bit red-faced!
    He's just said, "How do you know that?" "Ahh, I said. You'll have to be a bit more careful".
    Tell him he will go blind

Alex is offline Administrator/Developer/Hamster/Chief Lisa Basher ;-)

Hi all

I have done some optimisation on the ads so please post some feedback. if you do find any issues it would be helpful if you could let me know

1) What device you are using i.e. iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 etc
    2) Which browser i.e. Safari, Chrome - Don't worry if you don't know
    3) What type of internet connection you are using i.e. Broadband or Mobile data (3G etc)

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex thanks for all the work you have done and will let you know of any problems! Thanks again Cheers

Just had an ad for breast cancer testing. Some of the content is inappropriate, I was on the HA board when that popped up. That can't be my search history.

I'm also wondering about the therapy ads. I keep getting individual practices and I'm hoping these are not the unqualified types? One was hypnotherapy for smoking with a guarantee.

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Just had an ad for breast cancer testing. Some of the content is inappropriate, I was on the HA board when that popped up. That can't be my search history.
    Ok, just had one about "my pregnancy symptoms". I know I've put some gut on but...

My self esteem just went downhill

Terry - we can't control the content of ads that easily. We can block individual sites - so I have blocked a certain man we are not allowed to mention on here

I am just ignoring the ads and not even looking at them now to be honest.

If NMP generated a regular income to support its running costs then we wouldn't be in this position but it doesn't and hasn't done so for the 15 years it has been running. I can't expect Alex to pay for its ongoing running costs and upkeep when we are not even together any more and he has been more than generous helping me out as I have no income at all at the moment.

I don't know if you use Facebook or not but after every 2 or 3 posts from friends I get adverts and I find them more intrusive and annoying than the ones on here.

Maybe if you start blocking the ads that appear, it will learn which ones you don't want to see. Not sure as I have not really played with it that much.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Terry - we can't control the content of ads that easily. We can block individual sites - so I have blocked a certain man we are not allowed to mention on here

If NMP generated a regular income to support its running costs then we wouldn't be in this position but it doesn't and hasn't done so for the 15 years it has been running. I can't expect Alex to pay for its ongoing running costs and upkeep when we are not even together any more and he has been more than generous helping me out as I have no income at all at the moment.

I don't know if you use Facebook or not but after every 2 or 3 posts from friends I get adverts and I find them more intrusive and annoying than the ones on here.

Maybe if you start blocking the ads that appear, it will learn which ones you don't want to see. Not sure as I have not really played with it that much.
    Nic I take it that NMP hosts to another company to run it's servers etc and this cost is obviously getting higher each year Oh sorry to hear this didn't realise about you and Alex but glad you are still friends I mean I for one don't mind paying for a ad free NMP, but would other members? So sort of 2 ways of accessing NMP one you pay a membership for 12 months say £5 each and the other no fee but you get the ads? Not sure if it's possible to set this up and would help get some extra funds to keep NMP going. Again Thank Alex for his continued support for NMP Please. And yes you can control what ads you want or don't want simply by clicking on the X followed by Stop Seeing this Ad then you choose the option that best suits you! Thank you Cheers

Bigboy - we have a dedicated Linux server that runs NMP and we have full control over it but we effectively "rent" it from Rapid Switch for a monthly fee.

I am not sure you can control the ads in that way so some get them and some don't.

Once we work out which ads are doing well then we may remove some/change them around etc.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Bigboy - we have a dedicated Linux server that runs NMP and we have full control over it but we effectively "rent" it from Rapid Switch for a monthly fee.

I am not sure you can control the ads in that way so some get them and some don't.

Once we work out which ads are doing well then we may remove some/change them around etc.
    Yes got that so in a way its like a host server even though you have full control over it! Yes of course if I want to stop seeing a certain ad then it wont prevent others from seeing it! But every one can control what ads they want to see and not to see simply by following my simple steps _If the monthly fee keeps going up would NMP look for another provider? Or eventually own your own server or do you get some support from Rapid Switch? Cheers

I'm not against the need for the ads, Nic, I'm just feeding back what I think could be potential problems. (And having a joke about some) I ignore them, some I like the look of anyway.

Yes, thank god Lord Voldemort has been blocked

Clicking on them and filling in things is a pain on my small phone. But I've found a way around it for now. I can disable Javascript in Android which removes all the ads. My device is running much quicker for it and the key press delays and incorrect selections are gone. It just means it causes problems on tons of sites I might go on but changing the setting is about 4 clicks & 10 seconds away so it's fine. I tend to be posting in blocks of time anyway, so I can easily change the settings each time.

In full Chrome you can disable Javascript for a single site. It's not going to be an issue on a full screen though. It's a pity Android only give an exception list to allow it on, full Chrome allows it the other way.

There is supposed to be a function in ad blocker software. That might benefit anyone getting any triggering ones?

Nope, I go nowhere near Facebook, Twitter, etc. I got turned off all that watching work colleagues liking what pasty someone was eating and endless posting. My anxiety struggles with overload like that, I'd be a basket case trying to keep up with it all!
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 27-02-17 at 16:16.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I'm not against the need for the ads, Nic, I'm just feeding back what I think could be potential problems. (And having a joke about some) I ignore them, some I like the look of anyway.

Yes, thank god Lord Voldemort has been blocked

Clicking on them and filling in things is a pain on my small phone. But I've found a way around it for now. I can disable Javascript in Android which removes all the ads. My device is running much quicker for it and the key press delays and incorrect selections are gone. It just means it causes problems on tons of sites I might go on but changing the setting is about 4 clicks & 10 seconds away so it's fine. I tend to be posting in blocks of time anyway, so I can easily change the settings each time.

In full Chrome you can disable Javascript for a single site. It's not going to be an issue on a full screen though. It's a pity Android only give an exception list to allow it on, full Chrome allows it the other way.

There is supposed to be a function in ad blocker software. That might benefit anyone getting any triggering ones?

Nope, I go nowhere near Facebook, Twitter, etc. I got turned off all that watching work colleagues liking what pasty someone was eating and endless posting. My anxiety struggles with overload like that, I'd be a basket case trying to keep up with it all!
    Ahh didn't know that! So effectively turning off JS actually disables the ads? Wont it mess up other things in a site that uses JS code in other parts of the site? I will have to look at Full Chrome for my Pc! Actually a simpler way is just to close the ad down if you don't like, that's what I am doing and so far it's working Oh same here what a load of drivel do they seriously have NO life?? Plus there's many reasons I don't FB or Tweet got better things to do with my life thank you Cheers

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information