Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol anxiety AGAIN!

Re: Alcohol anxiety AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Matylane View Post
    So we are going to the dog races tommorow night for my girlfriends grandads birthday and everyone will be drinking so no point saying ill stay sober or take it easy because once ive started thats it.im sat here now worried and anxious about how shitty sunday is going to be and the bed ridden anxiety will be back in full force.ive not fully recovered from sunday the last binge i know how awful my day is going to be and ill be back in that dark place again.my anxiety is high anyway so i will drink before we even go to settle me down and then everything gets forgotten about and thrown out the window.my girlfriend understands what im going through and says she can make an excuse to everyone why i cant go but then im anxious about what her family will think of me as they only get together 1nce every few years.before anyone chirps up with'just dont drink'thats never going to happen.why can i not even make an effort to try and control the drinking even by slightly limiting it!after a few pints the anxiety is forgotten along with any fears what the next day will bring.it sounds soft and if you havent gone through this it is absoloute hell.once i woke from a coma unable to walk or talk after a huge brain injury but this alcohol anxiety is much scarier and unrelenting sat there unable to stop my head racing and panicing about absoloutely nothing.i know what is coming and i am still stupid enough to do it what will it take to get through to my thick head!
    Maty woah well you can try and control it it's not a competition to see who can drink more than the other Prehaps you are trying to shut some other deep rooted problem in your life? Only you know the answer to that. You can be strong and have a couple of beers and then go on to soft drinks the rest of the night and never mind peer pressure oh just have one more beer for the road you simply say No if they continue to pressure you then really are they good friends? You know you are going to end up feeling crappy the next day which you obviously don't like so don't put your self through it mate Pm me if you need to chat further about this Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Maty woah well you can try and control it it's not a competition to see who can drink more than the other Prehaps you are trying to shut some other deep rooted problem in your life? Only you know the answer to that. You can be strong and have a couple of beers and then go on to soft drinks the rest of the night and never mind peer pressure oh just have one more beer for the road you simply say No if they continue to pressure you then really are they good friends? You know you are going to end up feeling crappy the next day which you obviously don't like so don't put your self through it mate Pm me if you need to chat further about this Cheers
    It can be a problem if you are in a heavy drinking crowd. My brother was, I was. We moved on as life did luckily. I took myself away from people into the drug scene as I'm not like some of the people I was getting closer too. Sometimes you have to pull the plug on buddies if you can't escape the cycle with them.

How would they be of you ordered non alcoholic, Maty? Are they power drinkers who would berate you for it badly or would they take mick but let it go a few sessions down the line and adjust to the "new you"?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It can be a problem if you are in a heavy drinking crowd. My brother was, I was. We moved on as life did luckily. I took myself away from people into the drug scene as I'm not like some of the people I was getting closer too. Sometimes you have to pull the plug on buddies if you can't escape the cycle with them.

How would they be of you ordered non alcoholic, Maty? Are they power drinkers who would berate you for it badly or would they take mick but let it go a few sessions down the line and adjust to the "new you"?
    I am not saying it wont be hard for Maty he has to be a bit stronger for him self It can be done though Cheers

Maty,

I'm not sure on the counter effective side, at reasonable levels of alcohol they tend not to be but I wouldn't be confident about heavy drinking. Doctors are often fine with moderate drinking but I think it depends if the patient is in a good place, at least that's how I took my GP's decision over my request to drink on holiday.

I would say if you are ever offered the med I'm on, Duloxetine, make sure they fully understand your units because this med does carry a warning about heavy drinking & liver disease. I doubt they would consider it, but just in case...

What is certain though is that alcohol causes your Serotonin to spike, so you feel good. I suspect a part of that horrible few days many sufferers have comes from the reduction following the spike and the body using the nutrients it needs to build those Serotonin levels back up.

The down regulation effect of SSRI's would remain unaffected by that but it's about making enough Serotonin too otherwise the boosting effect it has by way of stimulating more Serotonin to be absorbed is not going to be happening to the same degree.

I suspect the heavier you hit the booze in a session, the more that gets amplified.

I was glad to hear your GP knew, sufferers have a habit of not being so open & honest. That's one step you got beyond and I think we should congratulate you on that!
    My gp knows im a heavy binge drinker he must take that into account when hes tried me on different meds.im going to have a blow out tonight then im going to do a few months sober and see if i can get into a healthier lifestyle foodwise /exercise.ive heard people say exercise does anxiety the world of good but another one of the problems brain damage has blessed me with is lack of motivation.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post
    Please don't feel that you have to leave, also complaints about punctuation are totally out of order.
    Thanks elen i was in the middle of a massive anxiety attack last night unable to sleep till around 6am and these comments amplified it

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

They would be ok if i chose to do that its more me wanting to live up to my old self.if i could sit in the pub anxiety free with a pint of pop i would happily do it

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

I am not saying it wont be hard for Maty he has to be a bit stronger for him self It can be done though Cheers
    Ill get there eventually(i hope lol)

Absolutely. I hope he finds success, his family need him.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

I'm glad to hear your mates would be ok with it. Since they are, maybe they could even be your voice of conscience if you start to slip? Maybe they could take your mind of things by distracting you? For instance, Maty's a bit quiet let's get him on the pool table for a bit?

Thumbs up Re: Alcohol anxiety AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Matylane View Post
    My gp knows im a heavy binge drinker he must take that into account when hes tried me on different meds.im going to have a blow out tonight then im going to do a few months sober and see if i can get into a healthier lifestyle foodwise /exercise.ive heard people say exercise does anxiety the world of good but another one of the problems brain damage has blessed me with is lack of motivation.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Thanks elen i was in the middle of a massive anxiety attack last night unable to sleep till around 6am and these comments amplified it

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

They would be ok if i chose to do that its more me wanting to live up to my old self.if i could sit in the pub anxiety free with a pint of pop i would happily do it

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Ill get there eventually(i hope lol)
    You will I don't doubt it Cheers

To those it may concern.

I have now edited my origional reply to the OP and removed the section about bad grammar, but have left the first part of my reply as it is. This was my honest reaction after reading this person's opening post, and the reaction of one or two others too at that time. It might do well for everybody criticising us to also read the OP's opening post, as it might give some indication of why we reacted in the way we did. I have also deleted further posts on this thread that may have offended other members.

I will do my very best not to be so 'honest' with my views in the future.
    Thank you.
    ISB

ISB - thanks for doing that as I was about to contact you about this thread.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

No problem Nicola.

ISB

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    To those it may concern.

I have now edited my origional reply to the OP and removed the section about bad grammar, but have left the first part of my reply as it is. This was my honest reaction after reading this person's opening post, and the reaction of one or two others too at that time. It might do well for everybody criticising us to also read the OP's opening post, as it might give some indication of why we reacted in the way we did. I have also deleted further posts on this thread that may have offended other members.

I will do my very best not to be so 'honest' with my views in the future.
    Thank you.
    ISB
    I was in a bad way at the time of posting.ive got brain damage and get confused with things so nice one for picking me up on my grammar and whatever else you threw at me it did wonders for my anxious state

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information